Legal Scams

Want to sell something? Have a request? Want to give something away? Advertise local services, etc. here.

Legal Scams

Postby drdesert » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:32 am

Thief Corporations Use ARBITRATION To Steal From You
My understanding is that you can't actually sign away your right to sue and that if the results of arbitration are unacceptable, you can go to the next level, which would be to file a lawsuit.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Re: Legal Scams

Postby desertrat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:09 am

It doesn't matter what a contract says. If the contract is illegal, then it can't be enforced. Whether or not you sign it is irrelevant. Most service contracts and other service agreements contain illegal clauses. Companies realize this, but they put the stuff in there anyways to discourage angry customers from filing lawsuits. However, that's all a big bluff. I say sue the heck out of them and screw the goddamn contract!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 am

Santa Ysabel woman turns to Team 10 for answers on phone bill
Frontier tried something like this with my mother. Phone companies like to bully the elderly because they know many elderly have ample funds to pay bills and that most elderly don't understand that they don't have to pay fraudulent bills or at least that they won't assert their rights in this regards. So, I dealt with Frontier for my mother and instead of having to pay over $300 in fraudulent charges, she wound up with a refund for over $100. It pays to be assertive, but polite and patient. It took three months of back and forth, but persistence pays off when company reps realize how stupid their company would look if they tried to force someone to pay for fraudulent service.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:38 am

Credit card debt: A crisis that doesn't get enough credit
High interest rates are a scam and people who build up optional debt are making a big mistake.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 am

People who rack up lots of credit card debt are scamming themselves. Don't blame the credit card companies. Blame the stupid people who spend money they don't have!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Credit Card Scams

Postby alf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 am

panamint_patty: I blame both stupid consumers and credit card companies. The companies should not be giving credit to just anyone who has a pulse and stupid consumers shouldn't be so stupid. I know some people will complain, but I think we should bring back debtors prison for people who rack up huge amounts of debt that they can't pay off.
ALF = Alien Life Form
alf
Greenhorn

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 am

alf: Debtors prison seems like a good idea especially if it's a no frills, minimalist prison like prisons ought to be. People who build up debt that they can't pay hurt the economy and raise the cost of living for everyone. Irresponsible people ought to be corralled up and kept away from people who take their responsibilities seriously! I'm not sure if it's fair to blame the credit card companies since they'll be sued for discrimination if they fail to give irresponsible people credit. I'll leave it at that!!! LOL
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 am

Debtor's prison makes no sense. It's equally the fault of the credit card companies. They should not be rewarded by incarcerating people that can't afford to pay for their scams. At the same time society has no responsibility to punish those who take advantage of someone's stupidity and laziness. Having people default of their scams is punishment enough as is ruining people's credit who participate in them. Just let nature take it's course and go about your business...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 pm

surfsteve wrote:Debtor's prison makes no sense. It's equally the fault of the credit card companies. They should not be rewarded by incarcerating people that can't afford to pay for their scams. At the same time society has no responsibility to punish those who take advantage of someone's stupidity and laziness. Having people default of their scams is punishment enough as is ruining people's credit who participate in them. Just let nature take it's course and go about your business...

1) IMHO credit card companies are not at fault. If they were to withhold credit to people who are unqualified, then they would be subject to lawsuits. Those who would be deemed unqualified would be disproportionately of minority status. Therefore, rejecting unqualified applicants would be seen as racist. That's how our society works and that's why we can't have nice things!
2) Irresponsible people are a drain on the economy and they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. Ever look at murder rate statistics? I'm in favor of creating internment camps for anyone who is a total deadbeat and/or criminal. I'm sick and tired of dealing with dysfunctional morons. That goes double for some of the idiots running things in Sacramento, BTW.
Yes, I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but I'm also fed up with a system that makes it impossible to do the right thing!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:03 am

Sounds harsh, but it makes sense as long as it was a matter of bad judgement as opposed to bad luck.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Want Ads