Off Topic Posts

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

Re: Off Topic Posts

Postby whiskeypete » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 am

camel wrote:And never post without a purpose as opposed to a porpoise. It's good to have a point. It's even better to have something worth saying. But it's also not bad to just add your two cents from time to time or to just say HI!

Along those same lines, I suggest you never have a desert for dessert. Although sand and sugar may look similar, they don't taste anything close to alike. By the same token, there's a difference between deserting someone and desserting them! (I know technically desserting isn't a word, but you get the idea.)
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:21 am

The SEXXX EDUCATION discussion topic should be moved to the Recreation and Entertainment section. I can see why shadylady put it in the Local News section, but I think it would make more sense to move it. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:41 am

crustyoldfart: To be honest, I actually considered starting the thread in Recreation and Entertainment, but since Local News has so many threads related to education I decided that would be the best place to put it. A serious discussion with a few joke posts here and there is what I hoped for. If I put it in the Rec/Entertainment forum then most likely more jokes and less serious discussion would be the result. Honestly, my feelings won't be hurt if the thread gets moved, but I think the chances of a meaningful dialog are increased by leaving it where it is.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:16 am

shadylady: Although crustyoldfart makes a good point and you even agree that his suggestion is not unreasonable, cactuspete and I decided to leave the thread where it is. Since the word "education" is in the title it makes sense to keep it with the other threads pertaining to that same topic. Also if we put it in the Recreation and Entertainment thread the implication is that it's supposed to be a fun, as opposed to serious, discussion. So, although it will attract a few silly posts, those posts will keep things lively and so that doesn't seem like a serious issue unless someone gets blatantly offensive, which is seldom an issue on this site.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:57 am

wildrose: Keeping in mind that different people have different standards for deciding what is offensive, I'd say on balance you are correct. People on this message board seem to value the free exchange of ideas over and above petty worries of triggering some halfwit with a psychological complex of some kind. Complexes stunt the intellectual and spiritual growth of those suffering from them and such a person is likely to be easily triggered and thus miss the point of a post.
Without resolution, complexes continue to exert unconscious, maladaptive influence on our thoughts, feelings, and behavior and keep us from achieving psychological integration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_(psychology)
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:42 am

MojaveMike: It's hard to be open-minded without a sense of humor and it's hard to have a sense of humor without being open-minded. People who are easily offended are anything but open-minded and they're no fun to be around at a party!.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 am

It is my opinion that the "How To Properly Talk To Children" thread currently located in the LOCAL NEWS forum should be moved to the RECREATION AND ENTERTAINMENT forum. The topic really doesn't pertain to LOCAL NEWS! It's more of a general topic which doesn't really fit very well into any of the existing topics, but if I were picking a forum for it to fit into, I'd go with RECREATION AND ENTERTAINMENT.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:17 am

twister: There's not really a perfect forum for that topic to fit into. It doesn't quite fit into any of them, but it does make sense to move it from where it is to where you say it should go although I don't think anyone really cares all that much one way or the other.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Moving the thread works for me. It wasn't clear to me where it belonged and so I just put it where I did, but it won't hurt my feelings none if it gets moved.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:51 am

The last couple posts to that thread have mentioned people in Trona. Do you people still want it moved or not?
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Board Information