Copyright / Fair Use / Anti-SLAPP / etc.

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

Re: Copyright Cutthroats

Postby cactuspete » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:34 pm

If You're Promoting Copyright Without Fair Use, You're Promoting Out And Out Censorship
This paragraph distills the truth about copyright. It would be unconstitutional without fair use! :smack:
But, really, what it all comes down to is this: the Supreme Court itself has repeatedly said that fair use is the "safety valve" that makes copyright law compatible with the First Amendment. Without it, copyright law would be illegal. Many of us, of course, believe that the valve is screwed way too tightly, and that it needs to be loosened, since free expression is regularly stymied by abusing current copyright law. But, either way, it should be clear that fair use is, without a doubt, a key element in any copyright regime. Without it, you have undermined free expression and enabled out and out censorship.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150427/18110930817/if-youre-promoting-copyright-without-fair-use-youre-promoting-out-out-censorship.shtml
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am

cactuspete: That article puts things in proper perspective without any doubt. Basically what it comes down to is that any media company that opposes fair use is unAmerican and should be put out of business. We don't tolerate things like intolerance and censorship around here!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Copyright Law

Postby whiskeypete » Thu May 14, 2015 7:11 am

drdesert: My idea is to put a copyright on the copyright sign so that no one can copyright anything except for me. I'll copyright everything and everyone will have to pay me for anyting and everything they do or say. That's my plan for world domination and I swear on a stack of bottles... I mean bibles... I ain't drunk even a lil bit!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby recluse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Austria Wants To Bring In Google Tax For Snippets -- Including Single Words :smack:
First people want to get the best page rank possible so they can appear at the highest possible spot in search engine results to they can as a result get as many viewers as possible. Now they want to charge Google for promoting their sites. This makes absolutely no sense. This is a case of wanting one's cake and eating it too.
Here on Techdirt, we have been following with a certain bemusement attempts by a number of European governments to bring in laws that would grant newspaper and magazine owners a special "ancillary" copyright over snippets -- actually a thinly-disguised attempt to tax Google.

Most insightful comment:
This is way too predictable. Next story will be them saying "WTF? Google just un-linked all of our content? That's not fair!"

Websites NEED Google and other search engines in order to get viewers. What's the point of having a website if no one looks at it?
ARTICLE: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150612/09031331321/austria-wants-to-bring-google-tax-snippets-including-single-words.shtml
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby drdesert » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:39 am

EU Parliament Rejects Bad Proposals On Copyright Over Outdoor Photography And Links
I guess at least this shows that the USA doesn't have a monopoly on crazy idiots who want to limit individual freedoms!
In the past few weeks, we've discussed two particularly ridiculous proposals put forth by members of the European Parliament in the report that it is sending to the EU Commission for copyright reform across Europe. First was the proposal to remove freedom of panorama, which would allow countries to block the photography of certain buildings and structures, claiming that those photographs violated the rights of the architects. The second was a plan to support a link tax that would tax content aggregators like Google News for linking to content elsewhere.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150709/06470431598/eu-parliament-rejects-bad-proposals-copyright-over-outdoor-photography-links.shtml
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:35 am

Geniuses Representing Universal Pictures Ask Google To Delist 127.0.0.1 For Piracy
More proof that there is no shortage of STOOOOPID on this planet!
127.0.0.1 is, of course, the IP address a machine uses to refer to itself. It's also known as "localhost." In other words, it basically means "home."

Mistaking 127.0.0.1 as an address that belongs to someone else, these fools filed a complaint against themselves. Only a complete moron would do something like this. The problem is that so many lawyers and people in the entertainment business are technologically illiterate. They just can't help themselves.
And here's the really crazy part: it's not like this is even particularly rare. Chilling Effects has long lists of DMCA complaints that point to 127.0.0.1. We're talking about a whole lot of armed militias running around utilizing a targeting system that wouldn't be trusted in a snowball fight, never mind in the realm of something as important as speech and communication via the internet.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150723/06094731734/geniuses-representing-universal-pictures-ask-google-to-delist-127001-piracy.shtml
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Artist Claims Soul-Clearing, DNA-Repatterning Motivational Speaker Jacked His Depictions Of 'Sacred Geometries'
This is pretty funny. I almost filed this under Scam Artists since it seems to be a dispute between two scam artists, but I don't think that the essence of this story has anything to do with scams in the normal sense of the term.
Here's the sort of copyright infringement lawsuit you don't see every day: a holistic motivational speaker purveying an off-brand Scientology designed to get true believers (laid / better sales commissions) being sued by an artist whose portfolio contains over 400 representations of "sacred geometries."

Read the highly amusing story available at:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150801/13073331820/artist-claims-soul-clearing-dna-repatterning-motivational-speaker-jacked-his-depictions-sacred-geometries.shtml
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Happy Birthday To All
I never understood exactly why this song remained off-limits for so long. Usually a song becomes public domain after a limited amount of time, but the owners of this one apparently performed some sort of a legal maneuver to extend the copyright protection on this one. Apparently it has something to do with the Copyright Extension Act. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:46 pm

The Increasing Attacks On The Most Important Law On The Internet
It seems more like a fundamental freedom that we would fight for than something anyone in their right mind would attack.
No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.

This law seems so sensible that it hardly seems necessary for the law to exist in the first place since any reasonable person would assume it to be the case without question.
This seems like such a simple concept: the only one responsible for saying something should be the person who said it and not the platform that's hosting it. Duh. A decade ago, I regularly said that it almost seemed silly that we even needed Section 230 in the first place because the underlying concept is so basic and so fundamental, it struck me as ridiculous that it needed to be put into the law. Of course no online service provider should be responsible for the content posted by their users. Why would anyone think otherwise?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150930/00445632392/increasing-attacks-most-important-law-internet.shtml
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 am

Service providers should never be held responsible for what users post. That would kill the internet and turn it into interactive television and not much more. I'm sure big companies would be okay with that, but it would force anyone with any intelligence to go underground and share through an untraceable and anonymized network.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Board Information