Fukushima

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Could PGE's Diablo Nuclear Plant be the Next Fukushima?

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Actually the area does look quite beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there either if I had my own private helicopter standing by to take me to my own private jet and get me the hell out of there when the big one finally hits. Also. How are we going to maintain these plants in the near future taking into consideration our rapidly accelerating downward trend towards idiocracy?
Union of Concerned Scientists: “Dr. Peck is right”
Dr. Peck was the top safety inspector at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. His internal report to the NRC stating that the plant is not in compliance regarding earthquake safety was revealed by Friends of the Earth on Monday (the day after the 6.0 Napa earthquake a few hours to the north of Diablo Canyon). Barbara Boxer has called for Senate hearings to research why the NRC suppressed his report rather than respond to it within the typical 120 days.

Dave Lochbaum at the Union of Concerned Scientists writes today, “There is little doubt that Dr. Peck’s findings are correct. UCS obtained internal NRC emails and memos in January 2014 in response to our Freedom of Information Act request. These documents relate to the NRC’s review of a license amendment request (LAR) submitted by Diablo Canyon in October 2011. The company sought the NRC’s approval for its handling of the Shoreline Fault. The documents indicate that the NRC’s reviewers found the request unacceptable and planned to reject it. … In October 2012, the company withdrew its license amendment request rather than have the NRC formally reject it.”

The report continues, “Recall that Dr. Peck’s findings were that the company’s evaluation was incomplete and that the completed parts used methods and assumptions unacceptable to the NRC. The documents obtained by UCS by FOIA substantiate his findings.”

“It is clear and undeniable that Dr. Peck’s findings are correct: the company’s evaluation of the Shoreline Fault and its implications on safety at Diablo Canyon is incomplete and does not use methods and assumptions accepted by the NRC. Dr. Peck concluded, based on these findings, that Diablo Canyon lacked proper justification for continuing to operate. He focused solely on the NRC’s regulations as they applied to Diablo Canyon.”

Dave Lochbaum states, “For our Seismic Shift report, I researched four decades of history when the NRC, and its predecessor the Atomic Energy Commission, faced similar situations. In all prior cases, I found that the NRC/AEC did not allow nuclear facilities to operate with similar unresolved earthquake protection issues. … Thus, Dr. Peck’s findings are irrefutable and his conclusion consistent with nearly four decades of precedents.

http://worldbusiness.org/safe-energy-pr ... -is-right/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Barring the commercial from Alex Jones at the end this is pretty good. Especially being from Infowars!

Also. How safe are our nuclear facilities from terrorist attacks? The WTC buildings were designed to withstand being hit by the largest air craft of the day and look at what happened to them! What would happen to LA, Trona and the continent if Russia dropped a MOAB on one of Diablo's fuel pools?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

At least when it came to naming the plant they did one thing right!
http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/diablo
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:16 am

I lived downstream from Hanford for 15 years and used to go windsurfing nearly every day in the Columbia river. I've sat around many camp fires hearing stories how back in the old days people would glow at night from swimming in the river but always dismissed them as stories.
Nuclear Watch: USA Hanford 'They're getting away with it' Shelly Doss whistleblower 9/17/2014
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 am

Japan Times: Fukushima plant plagued by problems as radioactive material bleeds into Pacific — Radiation level in groundwater now 25,000 times higher than when year began
Published: September 20th, 2014 at 8:47 pm ET
By ENENews
http://enenews.com/japan-times-fukushim ... year-began

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 am

Obama forces EPA to declare previously dangerous levels to be safe. Some levels to be increased by 1000's of times insuring a virtual 100 percent cancer rate to anyone exposed.

This is insane!

No one wants to think that the government, on any level, would choose to lie to the American public in a nuclear emergency or about a radioactively contaminated site. But it has happened repeatedly. Now, no one has to lie. The new limits are so high that signaling the all-clear will be much easier.

The Obama Administration has introduced a policy shift that fundamentally removes established radiation protections for the American people.

http://www.enviroreporter.com/2013/07/e ... ules/all/1
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 am

I guess the Pres does read the mail I send him. Who would of thought?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 am

I think it is all who you believe. One might have to think twice about just about everything you read,
http://www.westernjournalism.com/enviro ... es-frauds/ Just saying...
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues