Moral Panics

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Moral Panics

Postby mrfish » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 am

Dungeons & Dragons: Satanic Panic
Moral panic was what happened regarding D&D back in the 1980s and 1990s.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am

mrfish: There were rumors back around the 80s and 90s of an adult who took kids to the Gold Bottom Mine for D&D sessions. He was the dungeon master (I think that's the term for the person running the game) and he had the kids do all sorts of crazy things some of it involved nudity and possibly sexual behavior. People said the guy was a coach of some sort. Probably one of the youth football coaches. He had sleepovers at his house with lots of D&D and other crazy stuff going on. I haven't heard about any of that for years, but there were crazy rumors going around for a few years there.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 am

Is Dungeon and Dragons Evil? *60 Minutes 1985 special
This was aired in the middle of the D&D moral panic and at around the same time the Satanic Ritual Abuse moral panic was going on. This was also around the same time as the Preschool hysteria was going on. It seems ridiculous now although we are living through the fake-racism moral panic at this time. That being said there are some funny comments left by viewers which make fun of some of the crazy assertions in this 60 Minutes episode:
Yeah, it's the "Hitler liked sugar" logic. BAN SUGAR!!!

Our son was totally well adjusted and it was all D&D's fault he committed suicide! 5 mins later: Oh ye and he once threatened to kill our daughter.

Gary Gygax was a lot nicer than I would have been. When asked about that kid's suicide, as soon as the Mom said she had never heard of the game before seeing it in his notebooks, my immediate thought was maybe not paying enough attention to know he plays D&D had something to do with why he was suicidal.

So the dad didn't have his gun locked away properly ... and it's D&D's fault?!?!?!?

This was a little before my time, but it seriously reminds me of the Harry Potter book burnings that went on in the early 2000s....

Proof that "responsible journalism" was never the goal of 60 Minutes.

wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:31 am

sandman wrote:mrfish: There were rumors back around the 80s and 90s of an adult who took kids to the Gold Bottom Mine for D&D sessions. He was the dungeon master (I think that's the term for the person running the game) and he had the kids do all sorts of crazy things some of it involved nudity and possibly sexual behavior. People said the guy was a coach of some sort. Probably one of the youth football coaches. He had sleepovers at his house with lots of D&D and other crazy stuff going on. I haven't heard about any of that for years, but there were crazy rumors going around for a few years there.

I vaguely remember a story about a teenage who flipped a pickup out that way. He died and passengers were injured. I wonder if that group of boys was involved in this stuff. I also wonder if any of those individuals are still around.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:59 am

Stories were told about a satanic cult in the area which practiced animal sacrifices at some mine sites in Bruce Canyon. According to the stories there's a flat-topped hill near a large tailings pile which was a favorite site. Although I think it's an exaggeration there were also some stories that human sacrifices were performed at that site. The best time estimate I can make based on what I've heard is that these events happened mostly between 1965 and 1975. That would have coincided with some of the time that Manson was in the area although I've never heard any claims that Manson was involved. Generally, there were some crazy things going on during that time involving drugs and sex and rebelliousness in general.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby ergot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Moral Panic
Short, concise, and to the point.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:06 pm

The Occult #333: Moral Panics and the Occult
Not as concise as the previous one and he goes in lots of different directions, but it's interesting most of the way through.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Steven Pinker: Danger of moral panic over “fake news”
The title here is a little misleading, but it touches on both moral panics and fake news frequently. However, I'd say it's more about rationality, social media, and social decision theory.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:31 am

What happened to 'objective truth' in America?: Steven Pinker
I never in a million years would have expected Professor Pinker to be invited to appear on a Fox News show, but here he is and he does his usual brilliant job of explaining the mysteries of the human mind!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:03 pm

History of the Satanic Panic
There is no limit to human stupidity and this is a pretty good example of how stupid people can get.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues