Man sues bank after they "failed to read the fine print. "

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Man sues bank after they "failed to read the fine print. "

Postby surfsteve » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am

Man offered credit card alters the contract and returns it to bank… and is now suing them for £500,000 as they failed to read the small print and did not follow the terms

Dmitry Argarkov, 42, made his own alterations to a credit card contract
He gave himself 0% interest, unlimited credit and exemption from fines
Mr Argarkov sent the amended contract back to Tinkoff Credit Systems which sent him a credit card without noticing the changes
The company tried to sue Mr Argarkov two years later for late payments
But a court ruled Mr Argarkov only had to pay the balance owed but not the interest or late fees as per the terms in his contract
Mr Argarkov is now suing the bank for breaching the terms of the contract

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2ba52LBCs
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Man sues bank after they "failed to read the fine print.

Postby wildrose » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:42 am

re: FINE PRINT
Are you kidding me? This sounds like something from The Onion! In the USA if someone did this they'd be thrown in jail for illegally altering the contract. Never mind what the law says, the judge would bend over backwards to please the corporations involved and render a harsh decision against the consumer, who was brazen enough to dare to try such a trick. The judge would deliver a stern lecture about the importance of respecting corporations and of not tampering with legal documents. My guess is that the charge would be fraud and that the guy would receive a rather lengthy prison sentence.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:17 am

Not true. There is no law against altering a contract. I do it to almost every contract I sign including traffic tickets. Normally I cross off everything I disagree with. I also cross off stuff I don't understand (or don't want to). 90% of the time people just want my money so they accept it as is. I even wrote all rights reserved on my drivers license before I signed it. You only have rights if you don't sign them away and maybe not even then when you are dealing with criminals.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:46 am

wildrose wrote:re: FINE PRINT
Are you kidding me? This sounds like something from The Onion! In the USA if someone did this they'd be thrown in jail for illegally altering the contract. Never mind what the law says, the judge would bend over backwards to please the corporations involved and render a harsh decision against the consumer, who was brazen enough to dare to try such a trick. The judge would deliver a stern lecture about the importance of respecting corporations and of not tampering with legal documents. My guess is that the charge would be fraud and that the guy would receive a rather lengthy prison sentence.

Perhaps because the man printed the contract as if it were some sort of contract by the bank he could be guilty of some sort of fraud. But I think this would only be true if he were claiming that the proposal was sent to him by the bank. I think he's wrong in trying to sue the bank for backing out because it's not something they agreed to. But they did issue the card (by mistake). I don't see it being that much different than a father mistakenly paying child support because he believed he was the father. For some strange reason he is often obligated to continue paying even after it is found out that he was not the father so maybe the dude has a point but I don't agree with it or even understand it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Return to News and Issues