Retard Alert

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Retard Alert

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 am

One of my favorite topics on the old forum was:
The R-Word Is Totally Gay?
I don't appreciate the efforts of special interest groups to decide what words we can and can't say. I'll make that decision for myself, thank-you very much!
:curse:
Last edited by MojaveMike on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Retard Alert

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:49 am

Using R-Word Is Totally Gay?
Here is the first video that was used to kick off discussion on the topic in the old thread on the old forum. Key idea: "No word is always bad and any word can be a bad word when used to hurt someone."
:prof:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Ben Stein Retard Alert
Ben Stein is a true retard. He goes full retard in this video!
:up2:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:08 am

Q: What do you call a bunch of retarded kids in a pool?
A: Vegetable soup.

Q: How do you get retards out of a tree?
A: Wave to them!

Q: What do you call a retard in a tree with a brief case?
A: Branch Manager.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Never Go Full Retard
Best advice ever! :laugh:
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby ziggy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Siv HD - Retarded Fucktard
everyone i know has had to put up with this at least once
ziggy
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Parents say Burnbook app being used for cyberbullying :wtf:
It's a little bit of a non sequitur, but part way through this news clip it gets mentioned that a rally will be held at some high school that will encourage kids to sign pledges not to use the r-word in a derogatory manner. If I went to that school I'd tell the people putting on that retarded rally to fuck themselves!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:02 am

CactusHugger: I'm offended by the idea of high school kids being forced to attend a rally in which they are subjected to the bullshit of politically correct morons who want to convince them that they should not use r-word! That's just plain fucking retarded!!!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:15 pm

NorCal high schools could be impacted by Racial Mascot Act :mad2:
Apparently the r-word isn't the only r-word. More social justice warriors banning more words. They might as well just make a list of words we're allowed to use since their likely to ban all the rest sooner or later anyways. IMHO, banning words is just as bad as burning books and you know how popular book burnings were in Nazi Germany!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:29 am

Github Nukes Repository Over Use Of The Word 'Retard'
from the stupidity-ensues dept
First of all, GitHub is an online service used mostly by software programmers to store, share, and organize code.

Secondly, NSFW stands for Not Safe For Work. It's a standard warning given when the subject matter being discussed might involve content that is forbidden in certain work environments.

Finally, the news item at hand: Apparently GitHub decided to delete a user because the user used the word RETARD. The problem is that the person did not use the r-word in a pejorative manner. Rather he used the word in its verbal form (to slow something down). Whether GitHub uses an automated system to scan their website for forbidden words is not clear, but the problem here is the enforcement of politically correct language. I find such efforts to control self-expression to be reprehensible and objectionable. Shame on GitHub for caving into the social justice warriors!
The problem is that Github has also become indispensable for so many people. Given this power, it can deploy its rules stupidly and capriciously and still get away with it. That's what pains users of large, centralized services the most. Smaller, agile platforms with multiple competitors need to carefully consider their terms of service and the consequences of arbitrary enforcement. Those with more power and market-share are far more likely to use supposedly strict rules as nothing more than guidelines subject to moderators' moods and shifts in the ideological winds. In doing so, they allow hecklers to control the veto power… even when the heckling is coming from inside the house office.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150802/20330431831/github-nukes-repository-over-use-word-retard.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to News and Issues