Post-Election Analysis

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Post-Election Analysis

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Rep. Rice: Trump insults 'so juvenile' :roll2:
At least half the country sees Trump as a grown up spoiled rich kid. The word buffoon gets thrown around a lot. Many talk about his apparent immaturity and lack of judgement. At the same time, probably about 25% of the country sees him as a maverick or reformer and actually think he might do something good while in office. Then there's the remaining 25% who realize that he's not fit to be president, but consider him to at least be better than Hillary.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:36 am

I can see why anyone that watches CNN might think that. They are pretty much willing to drag anyone they can into the studio they can find that doesn't like Trump and put them on the air regardless. Even if there is any evidence.

Dem Rep Waters: Trump ‘Investigation’ Underway; Evidence Not Required for Impeachment

What do you expect from CNN? They are fake news!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Trump on Travel Ban Challengers: 'Bad High School Student' Would Understand Order
Trump doesn't seem to understand that an unconstitutional law can exist and may continue to exist until it is legally tested. When Carter applied the law no one saw his action as unreasonable or disproportionate. However, Trump's application of the law seems completely arbitrary and capricious. The law itself, as interpreted by Trump, clearly does give the president too much power. Trump's problem is that he fixates on the wording of the law, but fails to see the context of the law. The bigger context has to do with the Constitution and the actual powers of the Executive Branch. Trump seems to imagine that he has far more power than is actually the case. Like ergot said, apparently he slept through high school civics class!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

I don't think that Trump is misinterpreting the law. It seems pretty black and white to me.

The video you posted was chopped up and out of synch. Here is the whole speech, unedited by fake news.

Judge Napolitano's take on the travel ban legal battle

After that last video it seemed pretty well sewn up that the judge was being ridiculous and over stepping his authority.

But then I came across this video and if it's correct and in context, I can see why the judge ruled the way he did. The opposition argued perfectly using Rudy Giuliani's statement as evidence that it was a Muslim ban and not primarily based on terror from those nations. The Trump team argued poorly as if they were unprepared for the opposition's argument. With Giuliani's statement that it was intended as a Muslim ban Trump is really in trouble. I think if Giuliani had said it was a ban on radical Muslims instead of Muslims he would have been all right but after watching the video below I now see that Trump has clearly lost this round even though he is doing exactly what he was elected to do. Honestly I don't know why the defense didn't put Giuliani on the stand to clear things up. I suppose they would have also had to call upon Trump and maybe they didn't want to go there or maybe the Giuliani video was a surprise. In all fairness the other side should have put him on instead of showing a video but that would have opened up a can of worms for them too. I think Trump could have testified that the vetting process from the countries he tried to impose the ban on were inadequate like he did in one of his videos of speeches he made after the fact. If he had made the video before the hearing I suppose they could have used it but things didn't happen that way.

FACTS was the REAL reason why Judge STOPPED Trump's Travel Ban
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 am

shadylady: A lot of what Trump said about high school students was ironic and the funniest part was when he claimed that he was a good student and that he comprehends very well... better than almost anybody. His powers of analysis are severely limited and although he was able to dissect a sentence he seems to be completely oblivious to context. It's really sad that we elected such a dumbass as president, but then we were faced with an impossible decision and I gotta admit that a prefer a dumbass to a corrupt, lying bitch! OMG Did I just write that?!! ROTFL
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:04 am

Actually it's because Trump is too smart to waste his energy on fighting a battle he can not win.

Why Trump's Travel Ban is Absolutely Dead on Arrival; Time to Move on!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Does anyone think maybe Trump is just trying to wear the liberals down? When you think about it the democrats had to exhaust a huge effort to fight Trump's travel ban and all he did was sign a piece of paper and do a few tweets. Even his lawyers seemed to put in only a halfhearted effort. When I listened to their tone I kinda got the feeling that they were expecting to loose. With minimal effort he's got the news media running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off and demonstrators exhausting and embarrassing themselves. He's also taken a huge load of responsibility off himself of not having to worry about the next terror attack and placed it on them. It seems to me like he's wearing them down with minimal effort. I wonder if that's one of his strategies in his book, The Art Of The Deal. You think?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

surfsteve wrote:Does anyone think maybe Trump is just trying to wear the liberals down? When you think about it the democrats had to exhaust a huge effort to fight Trump's travel ban and all he did was sign a piece of paper and do a few tweets. Even his lawyers seemed to put in only a halfhearted effort. When I listened to their tone I kinda got the feeling that they were expecting to loose. With minimal effort he's got the news media running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off and demonstrators exhausting and embarrassing themselves. He's also taken a huge load of responsibility off himself of not having to worry about the next terror attack and placed it on them. It seems to me like he's wearing them down with minimal effort. I wonder if that's one of his strategies in his book, The Art Of The Deal. You think?

Naw. Trump is just throwing a lot of crap against the wall and hoping some of it will stick. He has no real strategy and his opponents are just waiting for him to make a major flub and he's not likely to disappoint. Trump is still responsible for taking meaningful action to protect us from terror and the lesson here is that he needs to come up with a real plan and stop randomly flinging turds against the wall. Like ergot said, he's a dumbass and that's being kind.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:59 am

CactusHugger: It's a big mistake to read too much into Trump's actions like some people do. You're right. He's just flinging turds randomly all over the place and hoping that the folks at Faux News will convince the dumbies in their audience that it's all part of some grand plan. It's been said before, but it bears repeating. The guy is the most hated president ever. Even half the people who voted for him realize that he's an imbecile. It's just that they hated Hillary more than they hated him. In other words about three-quarters of the country expects him to fail. Miserably.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:17 am

We seem to have had a lot of Muslims committing terror acts since 9-11. If there was anything wrong with Trump's travel ban it was that it didn't encompass enough. Our country is broke. We owe something like 20 trillion dollars. The real unemployment numbers are through the roof. Should we really be taking in refugees to take care of instead of taking care of our own and paying our bills? Seems like there are two types of refugees. Those that screwed up their own country and want to come over and do the same to ours and those who's countries we messed up by bombing, primarily by the Bushes, Clintons and Obama, who want to do the same with a vengeance. I have a great idea. Why don't we just stop bombing them? Instead of putting all the burden on the working class Perhaps there ought to be a refugee exchange program where people like Michael Moore and protesters have a chance to exchange themselves for refugees seeking asylum in this country. Refugees were accepted into this country as an act of kindness. When did it become an obligation? Stop paying for them to come over and take our jobs with our tax dollars. If they want to sponsor them with their own money that's their prerogative. But they should be held responsible if any of them commit acts of terror. Immigrants coming into this country should not be allowed unless they have something to contribute as a useful member of society. It's not our job to accept Mexico's criminals or drug dealers looking to expand into America either! If you're not going to contribute to help making America great again at least get the hell out of the way. Trump may not be perfect but he's the best chance we got.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues