Violent Crime

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Violent Crime

Postby cactuspete » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:54 am

At least 100 involved in after school brawl
How were there so few arrests? Violent crime should always be taken seriously. Anyone who is aggressive enough to engage in a physical fight should be incarcerated.
Depending on the jurisdiction, violent crimes may vary from homicide to harassment. Typically, violent criminals includes aircraft hijackers, bank robbers, muggers, burglars, terrorists, carjackers, rapists, kidnappers, torturers, active shooters, murderers, gangsters, drug cartels, and others.

As a society we do not do enough about violent crime or crimes against property. Instead we waste time on various non-violent offenses and fail to keep neighborhoods safe and orderly.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Violent Crime

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:51 am

cactuspete: Our resources should be focused on things that actually matter, not things which hypothetically matter according to some ideological point of view. Violent crime of all kinds should always land people in prison. Anyone with a propensity towards violence and I mean actual physical violence should be removed from society. Similarly those who engage in burglary or robbery should be removed from society. Sexual infractions are not something I would prioritize unless they involve actual physical violence. I would, however, prioritize disturbing the peace types of violations. That's a category of behaviors which are not sufficiently criminalized without a doubt.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:33 am

MojaveMike: A propensity towards violence combined with a low IQ is a combination which should always sideline a person for an extended period of time. The same goes for people who commit property crimes and other acts which put people in physical danger. What I recommend is an incarceration system which forces inmates to earn their way out of prison through completion of academic work. Those who take longer to complete the work remain in prison longer. Simple way to keep inmates busy and those who can complete the work are likely to become productively employed upon release.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:12 am

wildrose: I saw your comments over in the Prison Technology thread and I think you might be on to something. As long as the academic work is high quality stuff and not some rinky-dink busy work, then I think that your idea would work. Definitely smart people would spend less time in prison than dumb people, but the majority of people who go to prison in the first place are dumb people anyways and so it's all good as far as I'm concerned!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shotgunmary » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am

sandman: It took me a little while to find the Prison Technology thread, but I finally located it in the Technology and Gadgets forum. That's an interesting discussion going on there. Better prisons and better laws would definitely help improve society. I'm not saying more laws. What I'm saying are smarter laws. Both legal reform and prison reform are what is needed.
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Return to News and Issues