Secession

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Secession

Postby desertrat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:09 am

Alex Jones Calls For Secession
Is it a mere coincidence that the states with the greatest problem with racism (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas) are the states that have the most signatures on the petitions for secession?
:smack:
Okay, so Idaho, Arizona, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Arkansas haven't made the list yet, but they will!
:laugh:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:35 pm

I said:
mrfish wrote:It's impossible to deny that a majority of those signing these petitions almost certainly have strong racist reasons for doing so. There may be some people who sign these petitions who are not racist, but they'd be a tiny minority of those pushing for secession!

SurfSteve's response:
SurfSteve wrote:I did not know that being from the south makes someone a racist. How does that work?

Also:
SurfSteve wrote:Since the video as you correctly pointed out did not say anything about racism and only about people from the south being for succession, the assertion that people that signed the petition are racists (all but a tiny minority) must have come from Mr. Fish. Unless he was having a brain fart when he made the comment, the only explanation that makes sense is that he is prejudicial towards southerners being racists as a whole.

BoraxBill pointed out:
BoraxBill wrote:No, it does not appear that it is Mr. Fish who had the brain fart. What he said stands up to logical analysis. However, what you say shows that you applied a logical fallacy and misinterpreted what Mr. Fish said through the lens of that logical fallacy.

To be clear, the video did talk about institutionalized racism in the south. Also it is undeniable that the south (particularly the Confederate states as pointed out in the video) has had more problems with racism than has been the case in the rest of the country. However, I never said that ALL people who live in the south are racists. What I implied is that a higher percentage of people in those states have racist beliefs. I also assert that the majority of people who signed the petitions for secession are motivated by racism. That is a long ways from saying that "being from the south makes someone a racist". In fact, I would say that the majority of people who live in the south ARE NOT racist. However, the majority of those who signed the petition ARE racist. There is a difference between these two assertions. If there are 2 million people living in a state and 300,000 of them are racists and there are 25,000 people who signed the petition, I am saying that most likely out of the 25,000 people who signed the petition that most of them are racist. In other words although 15% (300,000 out of 2,000,000) of the population is racist, it is almost certainly not the case that only 15% of those who signed the petition are racist. I am asserting that something like 90% or even 95% of the people who signed the petition are racist. Hopefully that is clear enough for you!!!
:mad2:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am

I found this article about succession on the Veterans Today website and thought it was pretty good.

“I am completely aware that Election Day was a catalyzing moment, but I do not believe that the underpinnings of this are solely about Barack Obama,” Texas Nationalist Movement President Daniel Miller told POLITICO. “This cake has been baking for a long time — it’s the Obama administration that put the candles on the cake and lit it for us.”

Blowing out the candles of federal absolutism is the imperative of our age. Secession is not a dirty word, but is an indispensable solution. Dissolving the union of the suppressed, under the auspices of the subverted elite, is the path to social freedom and human liberty.

Non-violent civil disobedience needs to be the personal task of every citizen that believes in the origin of the country. A majority is not necessary to endorse and adopt this strategy in order to achieve a peaceable social revolution. A core element of activists and dedicated compatriots can change the world. Fear of internment is miniscule to everlasting captivity.

Link: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/11/19 ... take-hold/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Rebel Yell: 700,000 Americans sign secession petitions to White House
They claim that secession is a mainstream movement in this news clip. Mainstream my ass! 700,000 is less that 0.3% of the population!
:funny:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

desertrat wrote:Secession :cry3:
Looks like all the racist rednecks are crying because Romney lost the election. It's hard to imagine why anyone would be dumb enough to want that loser as president. I'm not thrilled with Obama, but I've got enough common sense to realize that Romney would be much, much worse.

Normally I'd complain that you're painting with too broad a brush, but in this case you're right. The people signing the petitions are racist rednecks and so are those cheering them on. Generations of inbreeding result in severe cognitive impairment and although it sounds mean, it's the reality of the situation.
:smack:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

surfsteve wrote:
There may be some people who sign these petitions who are not racist, but they'd be a tiny minority of those pushing for secession!

Since the video as you correctly pointed out did not say anything about racism and only about people from the south being for succession, the assertion that people that signed the petition are racists (all but a tiny minority) must have come from Mr. Fish. Unless he was having a brain fart when he made the comment, the only explanation that makes sense is that he is prejudicial towards southerners being racists as a whole.

No, it does not appear that it is Mr. Fish who had the brain fart. What he said stands up to logical analysis. However, what you say shows that you applied a logical fallacy and misinterpreted what Mr. Fish said through the lens of that logical fallacy.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

Can Texas Secede from the Union?
Answer: A tiny minority of Texans actually even want to secede and most Texans almost certainly consider these idiots a bunch of wingnuts!
:laugh:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Secession

Postby desertrat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Secession :cry3:
Looks like all the racist rednecks are crying because Romney lost the election. It's hard to imagine why anyone would be dumb enough to want that loser as president. I'm not thrilled with Obama, but I've got enough common sense to realize that Romney would be much, much worse.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Bring one of those petitions to my door. I'll sign it and I'm not a racist. I am also not a Romney supporter and I would sign it just the same even if he were president. Maybe even faster. People that go around making everything about race are racists. That's the definition.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

The vehicle for launching the current publicity stunt is the Obama White House’s “We the People” website, which promises an official answer to any petition that gets more than 25,000 online signatures. As of this writing, 50 state petitions for secession have been posted, and have attracted some 675,000 signatures of support. But only the petitions for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas have received 25,000 signatures.

A real president would have a ready answer to these petitions: “No.

Whether the secessionists know it or not, they are acting as useful idiots and dupes for an extreme right-wing tactic concocted by the California-based TeaParty.org, also known as the 1776 Tea Party. Tea Party organizations generally represent astroturfing, creating the illusion that they come up from the grass roots when in reality the key organizers are on payrolls funded by fascist billionaires.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/22 ... rld-order/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues