Detecting Lies

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Detecting Lies

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am

Scientists Looking To Fix The Many Problems With Forensic Evidence
Fingerprints, bite marks, hair samples, shell casings, etc. None of it is worth much. While this stuff can be used to prove that someone is not guilty, it's not of much use when it comes to determining guilt.
While actual junk science like bite marks has largely been discarded by prosecutors, the others remain, even as their reliability has been constantly questioned. The FBI loved hair analysis, right up to the point that it determined its witnesses had overstated test results 90% of the time in the two decades prior to 2000. Even fingerprints, which have long been considered unassailable because of their supposed uniqueness, aren't much better.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160312/12192533885/scientists-looking-to-fix-many-problems-with-forensic-evidence.shtml
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Facial Software Can Tell If You’re A Pedophile :curse:
Whether it's the polygraph, microaggressions, brain scans, truth serum -- you name it --- IT'S ALL JUST VARIATIONS OF THE SAME PSEUDOSCIENTIFIC SCAM!
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Thu May 26, 2016 6:24 am

a2z: To add insult to injury, public funds collected from citizens are being used to finance this bullshit. Our money is being wasted on a bogus scam and being pumped into a company based in Israel. We're literally giving money away for bullshit!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Israeli Company Claims Its Software Can Look At Your Face And Determine If You're A Terrorist Or Murderer
Charlatans are always ready and willing to take advantage of the gullible... :onion:
There is a regular experience I have that I assume is common for anyone that operates within the technology industry: I will often hear non-technical people make claims about a specific kind of technology that are wildly overstated. To those without even that barest understanding, I can understand how technology can simply seem like magic. That can open the doors for others who know better to try to take advantage of this.

In other words there are lots of stupid people in the world and way too many of them find their way into fields such as criminal justice, law enforcement, homeland security, etc.
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160524/12210734538/israeli-company-claims-software-can-look-your-face-determine-if-youre-terrorist-murderer.shtml
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 pm

So, basically, what this thread topic boils down to is
The biggest liars are the people who say they can detect lies!
:smack:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 am

CactusHugger: Exactly right. Companies that sell services or equipment that supposedly reveal lies are all scams that prey on the wishful thinking of their customers who want the power to discern who is telling the truth and who is not telling the truth. It's easy to lie and it's hard to recognize carefully crafted lies. Fortunately, most people aren't good liars, but you don't need any equipment or professional services to recognize their lies!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:18 am

wildrose: The main utility of lie detector devices is intimidation. The problem is that they only intimidate people who aren't all that smart and people who aren't all that smart tend not to be very good liars so why pay for props to intimidate them? Intelligent people aren't going to be intimidated by props and so the money paid for the props is actually wasted. I'm sure the sales people for companies that make lie detector devices and provide the expensive training to use the useless devices are persuasive, but I'd like to think that our public officials are savvy enough to just say no. Of course, I'm a bit too hopeful, I realize. After all, almost all of our public officials fall into that category of people who aren't all that smart unfortunately.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 am

Hillary is believed to be a liar and many people consider her to be a bitch and some refer to her as a witch. I say that we revive the infamous swimming test used back in the Salem Witch Trial days. The logic was that since witches were believed to have spurned the sacrament of baptism that the water would reject them and prevent them from sinking. So accused witches were bound and tossed into the water to see if they would sink or float. If Hillary sinks, oh well, she drowns, no big loss. If she floats then that's proof positive that she's an evil witch. This trial by water is just as reliable as any other method of detecting lies and so we might as well give it a try! Who's with me?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:32 am

mrfish: Great idea and the sooner the better. All sources seem to be pretty sure that she's going to win and that's not good for our country and so the sooner she takes the swimming test the better!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:47 pm

The Lie Behind The Lie Detector
This short book is available online in PDF form. It's worth taking a look at...
We wrote this short book to call public attention to the dangers of polygraphy and to protect the innocent from polygraph abuse. Because of our government’s reliance on this pseudoscientific procedure, thousands of truthful persons have been falsely accused of deception and suffered serious adverse consequences.

LINK: https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues