Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 am

It's been years since I visited the Crescent Mines area. The road was really good back then, but I've heard that it is hard to find now. The BLM is probably hoping it will disappear completely. Judging from your GPS map, it appears that you were able to drive to the end of the old road. How was it?
BallaratBob
Backcountry Hiker

Postby JanuaryJones » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:46 am

blackturtle.us: You were down in my territory! The January Jones Mine is located just on the other side of the valley from where you were on the Slate Range side of the valley to be more precise. I haven't visited the January Jones Mine in years. Not a lot to it, but it is a neat place to explore. Probably not a lot left of that road either.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Bruce Canyon Loop
This loop was mostly NOT in Bruce Canyon, but to the North on the way up and to the south on the way down. As is often the case, I saw an owl near Cabin Spring, but did not get my camera out fast enough to get a pic of it! Also observed on this hike were 13 donkeys and one rattlesnake as well as quite a few flowers. PICS: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/BRUCE/APR17/
blackturtle.us
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BallaratBob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am

Now we just need to get some trail crews in to stabilize your routes so that the rest of us can enjoy adventuruous hikes into the local mountains. Even with good trails I might not be able to handle the hikes anymore, but I know if there were good trails, that more people would get out and explore the back country on foot.
BallaratBob
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring