Panamint City

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Panamint City

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 am

blackturtle.us: Nice pics! Love the pirate flag in the window. I was up there back in the day when it was still possible to drive a two-wheel drive to the cabins. Great times back then. It's too bad that things have changed so badly for the worse. We've lost a lot thanks to libtards and enviro-nazis!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Too bad about the graffiti. That's gotta be relatively recent.
Thumbnail Image
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby happy_hiker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am

Great images of Panamint City. I've been curious about the area for awhile. I've done many of the standard hikes with trails in the area, but am curious about some of the sites off the beaten path. I assume that it's best to hike up to Panamint City in either the spring or the fall and that it's a little hot during the summer and more than a little chilly during the winter. Am I correct?
happy_hiker
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:34 am

happy_hiker: Spring or fall probably is best. The summer can be hot at the bottom of the canyon, but if you pick the right day it might work. Just watch out for rattlesnakes. The bottom of the canyon is thick with rattlers! Winter can be pretty cold up above 6000 feet, but some like it cold. So it's possible to get up there all year long, but it's a matter of the kind of temperatures you're comfortable with. Also after a rain is not a great ideal especially now that much of the old road is washed out.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:19 am

I'd imagine that there's lots of water coming down the falls at the bottom of the canyon right about now. I've been up there a couple times, but the water was never all that difficult to deal with. Probably not the best place to be following a heavy downpour!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:56 am

Hate to even suggest the possibility, but could the quakes have toppled the smokestack at PC? Lots of brickwork damaged in Trona and Ridgecrest (not to mention the damaged smokestack at the plant) and so you gotta figure that a sixty foot smokestack built in the 1890s might not be strong enough to survive much of a shaking! Maybe the distance from the epicenter will save it, but even at that the intensity of the quake was strong enough to have an impact in the Panamints!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:43 am

mrfish wrote:Hate to even suggest the possibility, but could the quakes have toppled the smokestack at PC? Lots of brickwork damaged in Trona and Ridgecrest (not to mention the damaged smokestack at the plant) and so you gotta figure that a sixty foot smokestack built in the 1890s might not be strong enough to survive much of a shaking! Maybe the distance from the epicenter will save it, but even at that the intensity of the quake was strong enough to have an impact in the Panamints!

Well it's been over two years since the earthquakes and no one has reported that the smokestack has fallen and so I've gotta conclude that this is a case of no news is good news!
:thumb:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:16 pm

My Longest Day or Some of the Final Days of Mining at Panamint City
The author of this article suggested I read it. I've met three, possibly four, people mentioned in the article. I've talked to Matt Heflin and Dave Pruett and I'm not sure if I've met the same Larry Garcia mentioned in this article or not. I've talked to the author of the article on many occasions. In fact, we share the same birthday, we were both born in Indiana, and both our families moved to California while we were young.
http://www.lawesterners.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/255-Summer-2009.pdf
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:04 am

blackturtle.us: Incredible story! Thanks for sharing. :cactus:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring