Sierra Nevada Hiking

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Sierra Nevada Hiking

Postby happy_hiker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:38 am

ARROWHEADS: I've found a few and I keep them. I don't know anyone who doesn't keep them. I'm sure some people say they don't, but I'm sure that even those people actually keep them. I'd feel bad if I left one behind, but I feel a sense of accomplishment when I find one. I think eveyone does and despite what the law says, I think sometimes the law is made by well-meaning people who are completely out to lunch!
happy_hiker
Greenhorn

Postby sandman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am

ARROWHEADS: ME TOO! I've found some and I still have them. It feels like too much of a miracle to just throw them away. It's like someone reaching out from the distant past and shaking your hand. It would almost be rude not to accept the gift!
sandman
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 am

sandman: Don't confuse dumb luck with some kind of spiritual connection to the past. I won't argue against keeping an arrowhead as a keepsake if you happen to find it while hiking or something, but if you're systematically looking for artifacts then that's definitely something that's not okay unless it's on private property and you are the owner of the land or you have the owner's permission.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring