Telescope Peak and Eagle Spring

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Telescope Peak and Eagle Spring

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Eagle Spring is a dry spring located directly below Telescope Peak on the Panamint Valley side of the range. To get to it you start at Mahogany Flat just like when hiking up Telescope Peak, but instead of hiking all the way to the peak, you take a right a couple miles before the peak and hike a little ways down to the location of the spring. Although the spring is dry, moisture collects in the area and the vegetation is especially lush. I posted 35 images which I took on the hike here: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/TELESCOPE/
Thumbnail Image
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Eagle Spring

Postby sandman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 am

I was out in Panamint Valley yesterday and noticed the almost total lack of snow up on the peaks. There's supposed to be a possibility of snow Friday or Saturday. Hopefully the peaks will be covered in snow come Sunday morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Telescope Peak and Eagle Spring

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 pm

I read today in the Ridgecrest Daily Independent that a hiker was rescued near Telescope Peak. He had hiked up from Hanaupah Canyon and wound up "cliffed out" while trying to find a short cut. Helicopters were required to rescue him. I tried finding the article online, but didn't see it. Hopefully the DI will post the article online within a few days or else maybe another newspaper will post info on the incident.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:49 am

blackturtle.us: That's a pretty tough hike to start from the east and climb to the peak like that. The other tidbit of info I heard is that the reason the hiker took the short cut is that it was beginning to snow. Not sure if this is accurate, but it would explain why he took a risk like that. Of course, it was a calculated risk and he's lucky he made it out alive, especially this time of year!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Telescope Peak
I hiked up Telescope Peak yesterday. It was a great day and the trail was in great shape. The roundtrip came out to 12.4 miles according to my GPS.
PICS: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/TELESCOPE/
Here's a shot of Rogers Peak as seen from Arcane Meadow taken on the way down from the peak:
Thumbnail Image
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby JanuaryJones » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 am

Snow on Telescope!
I actually saw a light dusting of snow on Telescope yesterday. I didn't see any during November or October or in December up until now. Usually there's at least some snow on the peak during November and it's not unusual to see some in October. I've even seen some in September before. But this might be the latest for the first snow of the Fall/Winter I've ever seen.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 pm

I hiked up Telescope on Sunday, September 17. This time my GPS logged 12.26 miles for the roundtrip. At the trailhead the temperature was only 62F at the start of the hike and 48F at the end of the hike. I started hiking at 3:30 pm and got back to the car a little after 7:30 pm. I made it to the summit in 1 hour and 54 minutes, which is not nearly my best time, but not bad for a guy who is 56 years old. On the way down I took my time and took a few pictures along the way. I only posted ten pics including this one of some deer hanging out near the trail. I saw a total of seven deer on the way down.
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/TELESCOPE/
Thumbnail Image
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 am

The NPS lists Telescope as a fourteen mile round trip and says that it normally takes seven hours to complete the hike. They tend to over-estimate hiking distance and time which makes sense since they don't want people to over extend themselves. Better that people find the hike easier than advertised than vice versa.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 am

BoraxBill: Absolutely! There are plenty of weekend warriors out there who get themselves in trouble because they don't know their limits. The park service has enough to do without doing ten search and rescue missions every weekend!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Wed May 29, 2019 6:14 am

I've seen less snow on Telescope in the height of winter than is on Telescope now! May has been phenomenally cool unlike any May I recall. Just imagine how much snow must have fallen on the Sierra Nevada Range. Hate to be a PCTer trying to get over Forester this year!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring