Saline Valley Hot Springs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Saline Valley Hot Springs

Postby sandman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am

Things usually start picking up out in Saline Valley during October and November since the weather cools off enough to be pleasant out there. I got in an argument with a lady who lives in the neighborhood. She's convinced that the nudists out there engage in wild naked orgies. I don't think I convinced her that nudism is about being natural and accepting your body and not about sex. Some people get these crazy ideas in their heads and it's hard to cure them of them! LOL
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 am

sandman wrote:Things usually start picking up out in Saline Valley during October and November since the weather cools off enough to be pleasant out there. I got in an argument with a lady who lives in the neighborhood. She's convinced that the nudists out there engage in wild naked orgies. I don't think I convinced her that nudism is about being natural and accepting your body and not about sex. Some people get these crazy ideas in their heads and it's hard to cure them of them! LOL

She must have a Jarhead husband. :down:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CactusHugger » Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 am

5 Best Hot Springs for Skinny Dipping in the West :cool2:
Saline Valley Hot Springs made the top five list for the western USA along with:
--->Terwilliger Hot Springs, Oregon
--->Conundrum Hot Springs, Colorado
--->Breitenbush Hot Springs, Oregon
--->Olympic Hot Springs, Washington
Included in the article is the following advice regarding Saline Valley Hot Springs:
Bring a spare tire, lots of water, and a wide open mind. Avoid coming in the summer and winter.

LINK: http://www.7x7.com/travel/soak-5-best-skinny-dipping-hot-springs-west
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BoraxBill » Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 pm

How Feral Donkeys Saved a Lost Hiker’s Life in Death Valley
A lost hiker followed a bunch of donkeys to a waterhole and there he was rescued a few days later.
The wayward hiker may very well owe his life to the feral burros, but their role as savior for one hiker doesn’t mean they’re popular everywhere. The pack animals, which were brought to the United States by Spaniards in the 1500s, have been called “an invasive species” in places like Texas, where they take over watering holes, contaminate wildlife and crowd out other animals.

LINKS:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2015/05/burros-inadvertently-save-life-hiker-lost-death-valley-national-park26613
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/feral-burros-saved-lost-hikers-life-death-valley-180955271/
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby CoolChick » Tue May 19, 2015 8:48 am

Donkeys may be an invasive species, but if they've been here since the 1500s then they have more right to be here than most all the people living here! I always enjoy seeing donkeys and I recall seeing several on a drive through Saline Valley a year or so ago. It would be a shame if they were eliminated. They are part of the history of the region.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Wed May 20, 2015 6:47 am

CoolChick: I gotta disagree. Donkeys may be fun to see, but they displace other animal species and wipe out certain plant species. I think their numbers should be greatly reduced, but that there shouldn't be a push for complete elimination. A long term management plan which keeps their numbers low enough so that their impact on other species (plants and animals) isn't too great is what is needed.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed May 20, 2015 10:25 pm

panamint_patty wrote:CoolChick: I gotta disagree. Donkeys may be fun to see, but they displace other animal species and wipe out certain plant species. I think their numbers should be greatly reduced, but that there shouldn't be a push for complete elimination. A long term management plan which keeps their numbers low enough so that their impact on other species (plants and animals) isn't too great is what is needed.

X2
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby texasranger » Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 am

Just because a gawd dang animal did something good once doesn't erase all the times it's made a nuisance of itself. Whether you're talking about yelping coyotes or feral donkeys, they're all just nuisances that should be done away with!
texasranger
Greenhorn

Postby sierra_jim » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:47 am

The desert in general sees more visitors during two times of the year and those times would be fall and spring. Saline Valley Hot Springs in particular is a popular destination during these times. I haven't heard too much about the roads being in bad shape for awhile and so I'm trying to talk some friends into heading out that way. Any advisories that I should know about?
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:31 am

DEAD PRESIDENTS HOLIDAY WEEKENDS: February is a popular time to visit Saline Valley. The campgrounds can get quite crowded on these weekends and so if you like to hang out with a lot of other people (some who don't necessarily keep their clothes on in public at all times) out in the middle of nowhere, then February is the month for you!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring