Pleasant Canyon

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Pleasant Canyon

Postby shadylady » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:34 am

Has anyone been to Claire Camp lately? It's been a while since I've been up there. I've always enjoyed wandering through the buildings and then driving further up the canyon to enjoy the pines. Such a wonderful place! No wonder the call it Pleasant Canyon!
:sun:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Pleasant Canyon

Postby James Sel » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:09 am

I haven't been up there since last year but, the wildlife is doing well.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:31 pm

shadylady wrote:Has anyone been to Claire Camp lately? It's been a while since I've been up there. I've always enjoyed wandering through the buildings and then driving further up the canyon to enjoy the pines. Such a wonderful place! No wonder the call it Pleasant Canyon!
:sun:

I've heard that the buildings at Claire Camp have deteriorated badly, but as Jame Sel points out the bighorn sheep are hanging out in the canyon quite a bit. I caught a glimpse of them a few months ago. The location I saw them at was actually below Claire Camp. I was surprised to see them there seeing as there are lots of springs throughout the Panamint Range. It would be interesting to find out what the total population count is for the Panamint Range.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:11 am

RE BIGHORN COUNT: Not sure what the total for the range would be, but I know there have been sightings in Goler Wash. I'm sure there are plenty around Telescope Peak and down into the canyons on the east side of the range. There are probably even some up in the Tucki Peak and Pinto Peak area, but it's impossible to know for sure.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am

deathvalleyjake: There would be more north of the highway up towards Hunter, Dry, Tin, and beyond. I'd imagine that there are many in the Inyos and I've seen pics of sheep in the Whites. I've heard that some wander into the Argus Range at times too, but I don't expect there are a lot there.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Return to Hiking and Exploring