Indian Joe Canyon

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Indian Joe Canyon

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:12 pm

shadylady wrote:Does anyone know if access to Indian Joe Canyon has been blocked by the plant? I was driving on the highway north of the county line at night a couple months ago and saw bright lights way across the way near the mouth of the canyon. A couple days ago I heard the plant had purchased the land near the mouth of the canyon, but the person I talked to wasn't sure if the plant had blocked access to the canyon or not. Has anyone been out to the canyon lately?

One of my friends was telling me that someone from Homewood canyon told them that a UFO had crashed a few canyons over and that there were all kinds of search lights looking for it. After reading your post I wonder if the lights were the same ones you were alluding to. If that is the case; how on earth could a story like that get so blown out of proportion? Though now that I think about it this was only a week or so ago.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:41 pm

surfsteve wrote:
shadylady wrote:Does anyone know if access to Indian Joe Canyon has been blocked by the plant? I was driving on the highway north of the county line at night a couple months ago and saw bright lights way across the way near the mouth of the canyon. A couple days ago I heard the plant had purchased the land near the mouth of the canyon, but the person I talked to wasn't sure if the plant had blocked access to the canyon or not. Has anyone been out to the canyon lately?

One of my friends was telling me that someone from Homewood canyon told them that a UFO had crashed a few canyons over and that there were all kinds of search lights looking for it. After reading your post I wonder if the lights were the same ones you were alluding to. If that is the case; how on earth could a story like that get so blown out of proportion? Though now that I think about it this was only a week or so ago.

A few canyons to the north or to the south?
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 pm

No idea. Why do you ask? I was supposed to go hiking up there with friends a few weeks ago but they canceled.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:22 am

What I know is that the plant has an operation there like a sand and gravel plant or something. During the summer when it was hot they worked at night and the lights they used were extremely powerful. From the highway they seemed ridiculously bright almost to the point of being annoying. Now that it's cool I don't think they're working at night. At least I haven't noticed the lights for awhile. I don't know if the operation interfers with access to the canyon or not.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:26 am

A rumor I heard is that access to Indian Joe Canyon has been cut off. There's speculation that someone is growing marijuana at one of the springs and that they're trying to protect their operation. Anyone been up that way lately? I'm a little hesitant to go up there if there could be crazy people with guns guarding their pot farms! I know the land is owned by a nature conservancy and is open to the public and so I'm a little confused by the stories I've heard.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 am

tronagirl: There was a pot farm bust in Death Valley last summer and so I'm thinking that someone's getting their stories mixed up. I visited both the lower and upper garden last November and everything was as normal except the walnut trees look like they are dead. It's a great hike and I recommend it to everyone.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:46 am

deathvalleyjake wrote:tronagirl: There was a pot farm bust in Death Valley last summer and so I'm thinking that someone's getting their stories mixed up. I visited both the lower and upper garden last November and everything was as normal except the walnut trees look like they are dead. It's a great hike and I recommend it to everyone.

This brings up a couple pertinent questions:
1) How often does the BLM visit local springs? Do they monitor the area using helicopters or do they go in on foot? I know that Indian Joe's is not BLM land, but almost everything around it (including the springs in upper Great Falls Basin) is.
2) The BLM has cut off access to a lot of back country roads which were open for decades. Is part of the reason for this to make it harder to access back country springs and to set up pot farms, etc.? Along those same lines, sometimes drug labs are set up in old abandoned mines and so the same logic applies there.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 am

mrfish: I've wondered about those same issues. I haven't heard about anyone trying to set up a pot farm by any of the springs in Searles Valley or in Panamint Valley and so I don't know if it's that big of a deal or not. I'd imagine with pot being more or less legal that the need to set up a pot farm by some remote spring would be a thing of the past, but I really don't know that much about the business and so I could be wrong.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pdm » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:54 am

CrustyOldFart wrote:mrfish: I've wondered about those same issues. I haven't heard about anyone trying to set up a pot farm by any of the springs in Searles Valley or in Panamint Valley and so I don't know if it's that big of a deal or not. I'd imagine with pot being more or less legal that the need to set up a pot farm by some remote spring would be a thing of the past, but I really don't know that much about the business and so I could be wrong.

Not only that, but everyone knows that the best pot is grown indoors. There are all sorts of videos on YouTube showing how to do it and Trona is the perfect place. Just buy a cheap house, slap some solar panels on the roof, and set up a hydroponics grow lab. Of course, I think you are supposed to have a license if you grow more than a certain amount, but generally it's not that hard to get into the business if that's what you want to do with your life.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby James Sel » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 pm

The black market is strong and health because over regulation and taxation. :curse:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring