Silver Peak

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Silver Peak

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:55 am

Third person arrested in Silver Peak slaying :shrug:
An interesting location south of Silver Peak with three old buildings and a covered well is mentioned in this article about a murder that took place in the Silver Peak area. Anyone have any info on this place?
“Jason said he took a pistol and 7.62 Mosin Nagant rifle with Coleman and Charles in Coleman’s pickup and went into the hills south of Silver Peak to a place he was unfamiliar with that had three old buildings and a covered well,” the arrest report states. “Jason told me (the investigator) that he walked around for a couple of hours with Coleman urging him to just do it until Jason shot Charlie in the head.”

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/third-person-arrested-silver-peak-slaying.html
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Silver Peak

Postby desertrat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 am

deathvalleyjake: Kind of funny that the article is about a murder, but the only part that you care about is the part about some abandoned mine camp. I share your perspective wholeheartedly, but still can't help but find our lack of interest in the main focus of the article kind of funny! LOL
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:16 am

It's been awhile, but two sites I recall in that general area include Company Spring and the Nivloc Mine. There are a bunch of roads in the area. Could be that most are washed out by now for all I know.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am

Looking at the map I see that there is both a town by the name of Silver Peak and an actual peak with the same name. Looks like interesting country. I'd like to explore the area some. Besides the Nivloc Mine, other mines in the area include Sixteen-to-One, Mohawk, and Sanger. Looks like Coyote Summit (elev. 7260 feet) might be a good place to begin a hike up Silver Peak (elev. 9376 feet).
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Return to Hiking and Exploring