Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby wildbill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 am

blackturtle.us: Thank you for not being too explicit about what you saw. The images give it away, but at least your write up advertised nothing. Good thing no one mistook you for a cattle rustler! I'm sure the ranchers are a bit nervous during calving season.
wildbill
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Peak 5294'
This is a rather nice eight mile out and back hike. The distance could be cut in half with a Jeep or quad to get around a rough section of road. This actually gets you pretty close to the Russian Cabin and the petroglyphs near the cabin. Other Donkey Trails reports overlap with this hike, but this extension is interesting. Except for a quick scramble to the peak, the whole route is on donkey trail once the Jeep trail is left behind.
blackturtle.us
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 am

blackturtle.us: Looking at the topography of the area you hiked through, I'd say that it's safe to say that parts of the route you took were STEEP AS FUCK! Other parts were just steep. How was the view at the top?
BallaratBob
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 am

BallaratBob: Well, actually I can answer that question. From Peak 5294 quite a lot can be seen. To the north is Maturango Peak. To the south is Argus Peak. Way off to the east is Telescope and the rest of the Panamints. Of most interest are the sites to the west and northwest. From Peak 5294 the area around Bircham Springs is visible and beyond that Wildhorse Mesa and Louisianna Butte.
cactuspete
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring