Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu May 05, 2022 6:32 am

drdesert and crusty: Definitely in the STEEP AF category. But as they say, you only get to enjoy what you're willing to work for.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:56 am

If you take a look at this map you'll notice a yellow line.
Thumbnail Image
The line represents the path of a cable I found in the Golden Trout Wilderness. I have only located the segment shown on the map and so I don't know exactly where it goes. I am told that it was probably part of a telephone cable used by the Forest Service several decades ago. Here's an image showing part of the cable and an insulator.
Thumbnail Image
The map also shows part of the route of a hike I did earlier this week. The full hike was twelve miles long with about 2300 feet of gain/loss. The extremely steep and treacherous part of the hike was the part which extends northwest from the yellow line. That section included about a half mile with 600 feet of elevation gain/loss and took me down to a meadow area where Long Stringer flows into Long Canyon Creek, which eventually meets up with another creek which flows by Jordan Hot Springs and then on down to the Kern River.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:34 pm

STEEP AF for sure! Interesting mystery regarding the cable too. It seems to me that there should be some cabin remains out there somewhere for there to be a cable. Unless the cabin burned down or something like that.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring