Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:42 am

wildrose: Both those videos you posted were very enjoyable. I sure would like to get out and explore a bit more. Lots of interesting stuff out there. Maybe when it cools down a bit!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 am

ShotgunMary: Thanks! I like to share interesting videos featuring local sites as often as I can. The sites where those two videos were a little off the beaten track from what I can tell. Not your usual Pinnacles video or Wildrose Kilns kind of thing. Most of us don't get back out that deep into wilderness areas and it's enjoyable to get a peek of what's back there every once in a while.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 am

Many donkey trails could follow routes of miners or possibly even local Native Americans. There is almost no written history to provide any info on any of this. All you can do is explore and let your mind wander and wonder what things were like in the distant and not so distant past.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm

SACATAR TRAIL WILDERNESS HIGH POINT
Here's one I did today. The steepest mile climbs just over 1000 feet, but overall it was only eight miles with 2000 feet gain. There were great views of Owens Valley and surrounding mountains in every direction. This peak is 8800 feet in elevation and is on the crest of the Sierra Nevada range. Normally this time of year I'd do a hike in the National Forest, but there is a closure in effect throughout the state due to wildfire concerns. This hike was in a Bureau of Land Management wilderness area and so it was not closed to the public. The area is mostly pinyon/juniper forest with some scrubby oak, but above 8000 feet there are Jeffrey pines and mountain mahogany. The 4WD trail shown on the map is now inside a wilderness area and no motorized vehicles have been allowed on it a couple decades. Also it should be mentioned that there are lots of obsidian chipping areas along this route and I found one sleeping circle that I had not seen before.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:51 am

That definitely qualifies as STEEP AS FUCK! The view from the top must be spectacular! Keep hiking!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:16 am

COF: DEFINITELY STEEP AS FUCK! Most people have enough sense to avoid such extreme physical exertion....
:thumb:
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 am

Certifiably Steep AF! It sounds like a great hike, but not something I'll ever get around to! Are there any pictures posted anywhere from the hike?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:23 am

Petrohead Peak
The top of the peak is like an island about the size of a football field. I only found two petroglyphs, but there are supposed to be more. As you can see the sides of this peak are pretty steep and a bit of scrambling and climbing is required to reach the top. There are lots of old cattle trails in the area, but they are faint and there's no clear trail leading from the parking area to the peak. In other words, it's easy to get off track since the peak is not visible for most of the route. BTW, I found an old Searles Valley Credit Union calendar card from 1993 in the register can at the top of the peak.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:12 am

Judging from the tall pines in the foreground I assume that this peak is in the mountains. The reference to cattle trails leads me to believe it must be near Kennedy Meadows since there used to be a lot of grazing in that area. Also I understand you moved up that way and so that's got to be about right.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:53 am

That definitely qualifies as STEEP AS FUCK! Looks like a nice area. I'd imagine that the view from the top is pretty nice!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring