Bristlecones

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Bristlecones

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 am

Bristlecone Pine
We visited the White Mountains last week and had a good time. The kids weren't too imprssed by the bristlecones, but they had a good time for the most part.
The bristlecone pine only lives in scattered, arid mountain regions of six western states of America, but the oldest are found in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains of California. There the pines exist in an exposed, windswept, harsh environment, free of competition from other plants and the ravages of insects and disease. The oldest bristlecones usually grow at elevations of 10,000 to 11,000 feet.

LINK: http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/bristlecone_pine.htm
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Bristlecones

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:19 am

Identifying Bristlecone Pines :prof:
I've never been good at telling different kinds of pine trees apart and so here's a couple pages describing bristlecones.
Needles in groups of 5; 1" to 1-1/2" long; dark green; curved; stiff; evergreen, remain on tree 10- 17 years; usually lightly covered with white specks of dried resin.

LINK: http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/treeid/pines/bristlecone-pine/
The bristlecone pines are the oldest single living organisms known (though some plants form clonal colonies which may be many times older). The oldest bristlecone pines are single plants that have been alive for a little less than 5,000 years. These very old trees are of great importance in dendrochronology or tree-ring dating.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 am

Telescope and Wildrose Peaks :4x4:
Here's some information on the closest place to Trona where you can see bristlecones. From what I understand the roads are out right now and so you might not be able to get there at this time, but otherwise it wouldn't be too far to drive for a quick outing although the hike might be a bit much.
LINK: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Telescope%20&%20Wildrose%20Peaks-2.pdf
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:28 am

From what I hear it would be quite a hike to see any of the bristlecones in DVNP at this time! The road up past the Charcoal Kilns is closed and so it would be necessary to hike pretty darn far to get anywhere near any bristlecones. Hopefully the lazy bureaucrats running things get off their butts and authorize people who actually work for a living to start fixing the roads!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:51 am

If I'm not mistaken the only bristlecones located inside of DVNP are on Telescope Peak. At this time they are basically not accessible by the general public. Why the heck is it taking so long for the park to do something about restoring the roads?!!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:49 am

The bristlecones in the White Mountains and in the Panamint Mountains must be enjoying some nice cool and crisp nights right around this time of year. I'd imagine that some are even partially covered with a nice refreshing blanket of snow right about now. Those mountain tops will remain pretty darn cold for a few more months! Winter is such a beautiful time of the year!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:11 am

wildrose: You may have written that last post two years ago, but I could not disagree more. Winter is cold! It's damn cold and dreary too. Winter is a time when people with money head for the other side of the equator! Refreshing blanket of snow, my ass!!!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 am

sandman: I hear you, but some of us actually do like a fresh blanket of snow. Of course, winter can go on for a little too long, but summer can sometimes have a way of doing that too. Not every day can be a perfect day, but perfect can get boring if it lasts too long for that matter also. The best policy is to try to enjoy whatever Mother Nature dishes out, but I suppose if you have enough money it's always possible to chase the sun wherever it may be shining!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 am

Bristlecone Pines in the California White Mountains
Oldest non-clonal organisms on the face of the Earth!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildbill » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 am

twister: I bet the White Mountains are looking pretty white right about now! Pretty much anywhere where bristlecones grow is probably currently under a few feet of snow and the snow seems to be very abundant at this time!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Native Plants Information