Death Valley Flora

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Re: Death Valley Flora

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am

Does anyone have a list of the different kinds of cactus found in Death Valley? I know cholla and beavertail and Joshua trees and that's about it. I now know what saguaros are thanks to dustdevil and that they don't grow in Death Valley.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am

No surprise that this wasn't a terribly good year for desert wildflowers. I did visit a few places where there were some nice wildflower displays, but nothing to compare with a year with above average rainfall. That being said, I'm looking forward to visiting some places at higher elevations in the months to come.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 am

wildrose: I was out wandering around the Slate Range on Saturday and noticed that many plants appear to be just barely hanging on to life. We need rain badly. Although last year was a low rain year, at least there was some rain late in the summer to sustain life until the the temperatures cooled, but no such luck this year!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 am

CoolChick: Hopefully we get some rain soon. So many plants are so dry that it appears that they are about to crumble up and blow away on the next windy day. Things are looking pretty bleak even for the desert at this time!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:31 am

Things could be shaping up to produce a pretty good wildflower season. There's not been enough rain to produce a spectacular season yet, but the timing so far has been really good. If we get rain every two or three weeks through the end of April we could be looking at an above average Spring flower show!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:41 am

I was able to get out and do a little exploring over the weekend and I was glad to see lots of little plants sprouting all over the place. Lots of little leaves poking out of the earth. Hopefully they all survive the winter!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Death Valley Flora

Postby wildrose » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 am

shadylady: The hills are alive with lots of little plants waiting for spring. I could not believe all the young plants all over the place that I saw while out hiking a few days ago. As long as the rain keeps coming a little bit at a time, this could wind up being a truly spectacular spring blooming season!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:17 am

wildrose: If we get a few more well-timed showers this could be a truly spectacular spring. Hopefully El Nino will keep on delivering more of the wet stuff. More white stuff up in the mountains would be a nice bonus too.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 am

No posts for almost two years to this thread! Anyhow, it looks like we're off to a really dry year so far. One good rain and nothing else and there's nothing in the forecast. Hopefully the mountains are getting some precipitation cuz if they ain't then the whole state is in trouble!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:17 am

panamint_patty: Definitely not looking good this year. There are always some flowers even in a dry year, but certain species will be far and few between and peak bloom won't be all that impressive. It's always possible that we could see a wet end of February, followed by more rain through March and April, but even in that case there won't be anything amazing or spectacular to look forward to.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Native Plants Information