Desert Shrubs

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Desert Shrubs

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 am

Creosote Bush Smell
Ever notice the smell that is given off by creosote bushes when it rains? It's caused by a resin which coats the leaves of the plant. The resin protects it from water loss.
Although some refer to the odor of the crushed leaves as the “heavenly essence of the desert,” the Spanish word for the plant, hediondilla, means "little stinker," signifying that not everyone considers the odor heavenly or pleasing to the senses.

LINK: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/creosote.htm
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Desert Shrubs

Postby wildrose » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 am

Mexican Bladderpod
Although I'm partial to wild rose bushes, probably my favorite true desert shrub is Mexican Bladderpod:
Thumbnail Image
LINK: http://www.dvplants.com/PLANTS/MEXICAN/index.html
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:17 am

Anyone know the name of the grayish-green shurbs that take over vacant lots around the Trona area? They're not very pleasant to look at and they look pretty scraggly! They're a real eyesore!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby blackturtle.us » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

tronagirl wrote:Anyone know the name of the grayish-green shurbs that take over vacant lots around the Trona area? They're not very pleasant to look at and they look pretty scraggly! They're a real eyesore!

There are two grayish-green shrubs which show up on vacant lots around town:
1) Honeysweet: http://www.dvplants.com/PLANTS/HONEY/index.html
--------------------------------
2) Fourwing Saltbush: http://www.dvplants.com/PLANTS/ATRIPLEX/index.html
----------------------------
I don't mind honeysweet. It produces little yellow flowers and mixed with the right combination of plants would probably look pretty nice. The saltbush is a bit of an eyesore, but it needs almost no water to live and so it might be useful in some situations.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:16 pm

blackturtle.us: Good information. I recognize both shrubs, but didn't know their names. I'm pretty sure that 90% of what has taken over the vacant lot where the Mormon church used to be is salt bush.
:cactus:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 am

Saltbush: Yes, that is defnitely saltbush in the vacant lot where the LDS chapel formerly stood. That vacant lot has turned into a bit of an eyesore. You'd think a church would be more responsible about taking care of property it owns!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:12 am

cactuspete and twister: The vacant lot owned by the Mormon Church is one of the worst eyesores along the highway in the Pioneer Point area. Maybe the Mormon Church should do something about it and clean up their mess! That would be the responsible thing to do!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Mormon Church

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 am

MORMON CHURCH VACANT LOT: Maybe someone should put a sign on the chain link fence identifying the Mormon Church as the owner of the vacant lot. They put a lot of money into beautifying most of their properties, it seems they should do something to clean up the mess they've made here! Just a suggestion...
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:50 am

deathvalleyjake: It's more like the MORON CHURCH as far as I'm concerned. They demonstrate complete lack of responsibility by leaving the lot in that condition. It's unsightly and it's right by the highway. It's probably the ugliest thing visible from the highway as you drive through the Pioneer Point area of town. Until they show the town proper respect by cleaning up that lot, I'm disrespecting them by calling them a bunch of MORONS!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby twister » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 am

CactusHugger: I'm with you on that one! Considering the huge amount of money that the MORON CHURCH has at it's disposal do they do anything for Trona? Do they even lift a finger? Heck no! They just add to the mess and do nothing to help the town whatsoever!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Native Plants Information