Rare and Endangered

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Re: Rare and Endangered

Postby wildrose » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:10 am

San Diegan creates shelter to save native bees
The "unstung" hero. The solo bee is endangered as is the honey bee, but the solo bee actually is much more prodigious when it comes to pollinating plants.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am

A friend told me about a rare giant daisy that grows in the Panamint Mountains and nowhere else in the world. Does anyone know about this plant? I've been in the area all my life and never heard of it. Am I completely clueless or is my friend crazy and just passing along bad information? A giant daisy around here sounds kind of unlikely!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 am

Enceliopsis covillei
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 am

Also known as Panamint Daisy and I wouldn't quite describe them as giant daisies, but they are a bit larger than you'd expect them to be. They're not that difficult to find, but most people are reluctant to share locations since poachers sometimes will yank plants out of the ground which is totally illegal since the plant is considered to be endangered, but sometimes people don't see the big picture.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am

panamint_patty: Poaching Panamint daisies is really stupid. The plants grow in very specific conditions. They are found in a specific type of soil and at a very narrow elevation band. They won't survive in general garden conditions and so it's best just to leave them be!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 am

National parks want you to stop picking them clean
The problem of poaching in national parks is a big deal. It might be rocks, fossils, plants, artifacts, or whatever, but nothing is supposed to leave the park. Those caught pilfering items from a national park can face hefty fines or even jail time. National parks are developing all sorts of different strategies to deal with this problem as outlined in this article.
People do steal cacti, though. Saguaro cacti are particularly prized on the black market, where they can fetch anywhere from $500 to $2,000 a piece. Eight years ago, rangers came across a trailer parked along a road in the park and found eight saguaro cacti inside. The rangers arrested the would-be poachers and even got convictions.

LINK: https://www.cnet.com/news/national-parks-want-you-to-stop-picking-them-clean/
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 am

Lots of people I know have collected arrowheads from around this area and in surrounding states. They might have found them on park land or other public land or they might have found them on private land for all I know. I don't blame anyone for taking an arrowhead since the chances of someone else ever finding it again is pretty low, but anyone who does anything to ruin a public place for other people should be held accountable whenever possible.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 am

Endangered plant, Liveforever, getting help
Conservation efforts down near San Diego to help save endangered plant.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Poachers targeting rare California succulents
Rare plants are protected for a reason. Ten years in federal prison is not enough!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 am

Seems like some plants have more protection than some unborn babies
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Native Plants Information