Rare and Endangered

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Rare and Endangered

Postby wildrose » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:55 pm

The Secrets Botanists Keep
Like anything else, the majority suffer because of the few who do bad things. There are a lot of things that are kept relatively secret around this area. Whether it's isolated desert cabins, petroglyph sites, the location of the U2 memorial, or locations where rare plants can be observed, people tend to only share the information with others whom they trust. Then again, some sites are so difficult to get to that there's no need to keep them secret!
Whether you see humans as gleeful destroyers, thoughtless profiteers, or just well-intentioned fools, it’s tough to make the case we should be treated any differently. The UK’s “rarest wild flower” has been thieved to the point where it requires 24-hour “petal patrol” from the local police. Organized crime in Mexico has moved into the lucrative rare-cacti poaching business.

LINK: http://modernfarmer.com/2014/11/botanists-protecting-rare-plants-secrecy-thats-kind-problem/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Rare and Endangered

Postby cactuspete » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 am

California Laws Protecting Native Plants
Although my philosophy is the fewer laws the better, there are some laws that are absolutely necessary!
Some native plants are protected by California law. Important California laws for native plant protection are the California Endangered Species Act (CESA), the Native Plant Protection Act (NPPA), the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the Natural Community Conservation Planning Act (NCCPA), the California Desert Native Plants Act (CDNPA), and California Penal Code Section 384a.

LINK: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Plants/Laws
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:48 am

Actually there are several rare endemics throughout Inyo County, but not a lot is done to keep their locations secret. However, their identy is obscure enough that most people know nothing about them and the locations are pretty hard to get to in most cases. So, most of the rare and endangered plants in Inyo County don't need to be kept secret.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:58 am

pcslim: Good point about Inyo County. An awful lot of the county is only accessible via dirt roads and many of those dirt roads are closed at various times following storms. That does make it rather difficult to get to quite a few rare plants. Not only do you need a vehicle that can handle rough roads, but then you've got to be willing to hike a ways, often over what can reasonably be called treacherous terrain!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 am

wildrose: You make a good point about the lack of pavement in Inyo County, but they've been closing dirt roads at an alarming rate and so access is extremely limited in a lot of areas. Keeping us people out may keep the rare plants safe, but we're talking about public land and depriving the public of access to public land isn't what I'd expect as someone who lives in what used to be the land of the free!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby jeepnut » Mon May 11, 2015 8:28 am

I don't give a darn about the plants. The only thing rare and endangered around here are our jeep trails. The government keeps closing them. Pretty soon we won't have any left. The plants can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned! Just keep the jeep trails open! In other words, the only kind of preservation I care about is the preservation of vehicular access to our public lands!
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby BoraxBill » Tue May 26, 2015 6:19 am

jeepnut: How about caring about both the jeep trails and the plants? It's perfectly reasonable to care about both. In fact, most of us who like to visit historic sites also enjoy nature. Many sites are too remote to hike into for most of us and so without jeep trails many of us get excluded from the opportunity to visit certain sites.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby jeepnut » Wed May 27, 2015 6:41 am

BoraxBill: My main gripe is that the environmentalists keep hacking away at our ability to access the backcountry. They're a bunch of elistist who think that they're the only ones who should have the privilege of being able to visit remote areas. They are a bunch of self-centered, narcissistic, selfish egotists who need to try to think of others for a change!
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby James Sel » Wed May 27, 2015 5:28 pm

jeepnut wrote:BoraxBill: My main gripe is that the environmentalists keep hacking away at our ability to access the backcountry. They're a bunch of elistist who think that they're the only ones who should have the privilege of being able to visit remote areas. They are a bunch of self-centered, narcissistic, selfish egotists who need to try to think of others for a change!

I care a hell of a lot about the environment it is important to that we take care of it. I don't think we need three or more roads leading to any of one spot of it. What we need is to open more roads to access most all areas of the wilderness so it can be enjoyed by all americans.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildbill » Thu May 28, 2015 6:52 am

Closing roads ain't about the environment. It's about making it easier for the rangers to keep tabs on what people are up to. They could have an adopt a road program and allow offroad groups to maintain trails, but they don't want to go there. It's all about reducing our options and reducing their workload. As usual, we get less and we pay more.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Native Plants Information