Rare and Endangered

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Re: Rare and Endangered

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:19 pm

How Humans Can Try To Prevent 6th Mass Extinction
Many scientists assert that humans are causing a new wave of extinction. A few suggestions are made for ways to avoid this crisis.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 am

Obama creates three new national monuments :thumb:
This will help preserve more unspoiled open space for all of us to enjoy and to protect wildlife.
President Obama today announced the designation of three new national monuments. The Berryessa Snow Mountain in Calif., the Waco Mammoth in Texas, and the Basin and Range in Nev., will now all be protected as historic sites.

wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:18 am

wildrose: It's about time that Prez Barry actually did something constructive. He's been a waste of oxygen for the most part, but then so have the rest of the worthless deadbeats in Wash D.C.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Ramshaw Meadows Abronia
On a recent three-day backpacking trip I came across this rather attractive and extremely rare plant. It only grows in two adjacent locations: Ramshaw Meadows and Templeton Meadows. Both meadows are just east of Kern Peak, which was the main destination for my backpacking trip.
INFO PAGE: http://www.dvplants.com/OP/ABRONIA/index.html
SONG/VIDEO ABOUT TRIP: http://www.blackturtle.us/SONGS/NEWPAGES/dirtysocks.html
Thumbnail Image
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:18 am

blackturtle.us: Interesting post! I can't say that I'm likely to ever do the hike necessary to get to see those pretty flowers in person, but I probably would if it wasn't so darn far! Thanks for sharing!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 am

RAMSHAW MEADOWS ABRONIA: This is definitely an example of one of those secrets that botanists keep, but which they don't actually need to keep due to the remoteness of the location where the plant grows. While looking around the internet I saw that a ten-year moratorium on cattle grazing is in effect in the two meadows where this plant grows. We're all very lucky that the cattle didn't destroy it before the moratorium was enacted!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:13 am

Ramshaw Meadows Abronia: Truly a botanical treasure! It must have been an incredible experience and privilege to witness that plant growing in the wild. I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures you posted and the video you posted. Thanks for sharing!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Bizarre find in Proctor Valley
Awesome habitat restoration project. 26000 native plants will restore habitat for native species... some which may be endangered.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:47 am

A few other plants that I saw listed as endangered in the Mojave Desert include bear-paw poppy, foxtail cactus, Eureka Valley evening primrose, Panamint daisy, and sticky buckwheat. I'll try to get out and see some of these for myself. A little online research and I'm likely to track these plants down!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

A 'Holy Grail' for Botanists Has Been Found in California
For decades it was believed that this plant was extinct!
Somewhere outside Antioch, California, which is about 40 miles northeast of San Francisco, there lies a patch of wildflowers so rare that botanists aren't disclosing their location, for fear of tourists or vandals. The wildflowers, known as Mount Diablo buckwheat, or, by their Latin name, as Eriogonum truncatum, were thought to be extinct for nearly seven decades, until a small patch of them were found in California in 2005.

LINK: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/a-holy-grail-for-botanists-has-been-found-in-california
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Native Plants Information