Desert Natives for the Garden

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Re: Desert Natives for the Garden

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Every Desert Garden Should Have This Fruit Tree!
This guy has a lot of trees in his yard in Phoenix. He really likes the Palo Verde tree. He says the seeds taste like like sugar snap peas and edamame!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am

Edamame? Isn't that a favorite of yuppie millenial types? They're just over-priced soybeans as far as I'm concerned. Not especially tasty, but they're cheap and plentiful and millenials are easily manipulated by the media. That's why the media loves millenials so much! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Thu May 31, 2018 6:47 am

One of my favorite native plants is California Buckwheat. I've seen it worked into landscaping many times and it requires very little water. IMHO it should be available at every nursery throughout the desert as a standard landscape plant alongside the usual suspects such as oleander, Texas ranger, desert willow, aptenia, etc.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:23 am

shadylady: California Buckwheat sounds like a great plant. I looked at a few images of the plant after googling it and it looks plenty attractive and it barely takes any water. Seems like a no-brainer to include in desert landscapes and it definitely uses less water than aptenia!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildbill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 am

CrustyOldFart: I like the buckwheat and there are a few others that are great that are fully native and that would work in people's yards. Brittlebush is top on my list, but there are others that will work. It would be nice to see more people take better care of their yards, especially in Trona, but even in Ridgecrest there's plenty of room for improvement. Water wise does not need to be an eyesore!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BallaratBob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 am

Desert natives for landscaping make a lot of sense from my perspective. Properly used they not only look great, but they can save a ton of water. Local retailers should definitely do a much better job of making these water misers available to the public. If water restrictions come into place it will be impossible to keep certain plants alive whereas natives adapted to low water conditions will survive and in some cases even thrive!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:32 am

Growing Yerba Mansa from Seeds, Days 159-177
The flowers on this plant are really pretty. I've seen it growing wild near Darwin. It can take the heat, but it needs a little extra water compared to most desert plants.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:41 am

Celebrating Earth Day with Desert Botanical Garden
Local desert natives probably are best for our area, but there are other desert natives that can survive.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed May 27, 2020 7:23 am

The Value of Astragalus
She's talking about a species from China, but there are several species that grow in the wild in the Death Valley and Sierra Nevada regions. I wonder how easy it is to cultivate the local species and also I wonder if they have the same tonic properties that she's discussing in this video.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed May 27, 2020 8:02 am

California Native Plant Propagation and Gardening
This guy presents quite a variety of natives. These aren't necessarily desert plants, but the video provides perspective on the wide variety of wild plants that may be considered for the garden.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Native Plants Information