TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

Postby CactusHugger » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 am

wildrose: I found that teacher in the flexible seating video a little creepy. I won't say much more than that, but I think he uses the different seating options as a way to control kids. He probably allows his favorites to sit in the nicest areas and kind of ignores the interests of the kids that are less important to him. If he's a good guy he might use a merit system or a neutral rotational system, but I get the feeling that he plays favorites and allows the kids he likes to enjoy the best seating. I just get bad vibes from the guy. I know I'm probably wrong about him, but he seems like the type who knows how to make a good impression, but is really not such a great guy behind the scenes.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sat May 19, 2018 7:28 am

Liberals say my thoughts & prayers aren't enough. Here's my response.
This lady goes full bitch mode, but makes a lot of good points along the way. Here are a couple factual claims that she makes that I have yet to verify:
1) Weapons used to kill other students were a sawed-off shotgun and a revolver
2) The rampage started in art class
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun May 20, 2018 11:57 am

Fareed Zakaria: Teachers make other professions possible
Something to think about...
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am

desertrat: I didn't much like my art teacher either. Her mission from what I could tell was to level-the-playing-field by giving a boost to kids with poor academic skills and being ridiculously tough on kids who were solid when it came to academics (or athletics). She gave high marks to kids with missing projects and projects which didn't even satisfy the assignment criteria if they were low performing students and she gave low marks to people who turned in everything and followed directions if they were successful students. I managed to squeeze out a B in her class, but I would have complained to admin if she gave me anything lower. My point is that I would not have gunned her down or anything like that under any circumstances, even though she was a miserable excuse for a teacher.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Tue May 22, 2018 7:29 am

mrfish: That's funny. I had a dingbat art teacher too. She wasn't as bad as the one you describe though. She tended to just give everyone good grades as long as they were trying. I can sort of respect that, but the person you describe is reprehensible. Teachers are supposed to be fair to everyone and not favor certain types of students. The whole leveling-the-playing-field thing sounds like something an SJW type would do. Sounds like your teacher was ahead of her time. Hopefully the SJWs haven't taken over the teaching profession. I'd hate to be a student in a class led by an SJW type teacher.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Rock Band OK Go Creates Online Resource To Help Educators Teach Science
This looks like a fun site: https://okgosandbox.org
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am

And now for a word regarding grammar Nazis! I overheard a conversation between a couple people a couple days ago. One person used the contraction would've and the other person accused that person of saying would of and then launched into a tirade about the difference between would have and would of. The first person was caught off guard and may not have realized that she did not make a grammatical error, but that it was the other person who did not listen carefully enough and made an incorrect assumption. Things like this happen quite often in life. Personally, I find grammar Nazis annoying!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 am

Grammar Nazis do not make good teachers! What you want is someone who will teach good grammar usage without being judgmental or self-righteous. Someone who elevates grammar to the level of some kind of religion is just plain annoying. The tail should not wag the dog IMHO.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby whiskeypete » Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Grammar Nazis: I ain't got no toleration fur grammar nazis. They can just all goto heck as far as i'm concernt!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CactusHugger » Fri May 25, 2018 7:49 am

whiskeypete: That's what I'm saying! I could not agree more! You certainly have a way with words that would drive a Grammar Nazi nuts!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News