Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby mrfish » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:24 am

BallaratBob: Shocked? Yeah, I'll be shocked and maybe even bewildered if it turns out to be a black woman, but anything is possible and the important thing is they catch the jerk who did it, one way or the other. It's probably a good thing they didn't release the suspect's name since there's a good chance physical harm would have been done by now. That's how outraged some of us are over the damage that was done. I'm not advocating a rush to judgement, but people are pretty upset.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am

Xanterra Parks & Resorts has decided to change the name of the Furnace Creek Resort to the Oasis at Death Valley. Xanterra operates many facilities in several major national parks. They promise to honor the historical significance of the Furnace Creek facility, while adding all sorts of upgrades and amenities which guests have requested in recent years. Personally, I'm against the name change, but I agree that upgrades and modernization are a good idea. I'd recommend keeping the name as is, but maybe adding the new name as a subtitle, so to speak.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:47 am

Tourists Flock To Death Valley During Heat Wave
If you visit Death Valley on the right day, you could be part of a historic event. You never know when the all-time heat record is going to go up a notch!

CURRENTLY:
The highest confirmed temperature on Earth recorded according to these measures was 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) in Furnace Creek Ranch, California, located in the Death Valley desert in the United States, on July 10, 1913.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_temperature_recorded_on_Earth
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Researchers Crack the Secret of the Moving Rocks of Death Valley
This article was published today, but the accompanying video was posted in 2014.
With the aid of time-lapse photography, GPS tracking, and a long wait the team has finally managed to catch the moving rocks red handed. Their footage showed that as the lake fills with a shallow layer of water it freezes around the rocks when the temperature is cold enough. During the day, the sun’s heat partially melts this ice layer which then breaks up into sheets. These sheets, driven by the wind, literally bulldoze the rocks around the valley floor.

http://interestingengineering.com/secret-moving-rocks-death-valley/
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 am

So long, Furnace Creek Resort. A $50-million renovation brings a new name: the Oasis at Death Valley
Blame it on those greedy bastards at Xanterra! :curse:
hen Death Valley’s renovated resort reopens in the fall, it will have a new look — and a new name. The former Furnace Creek Resort will be called the Oasis at Death Valley. Why the name changes? It’s all about location, location, location. “At the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier, the name of the park is in the name of the lodge,” says Betsy O’Rourke, chief marketing officer at resort owner and operator Xanterra Parks & Resorts.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-california-death-valley-furnace-creek-name-change-20170601-story.html
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 am

Death Valley had the hottest month in US history
It's been one heck of a hot summer! :sun:
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 am

National Park Service ditches water bottle 'ban'
I didn't even realize there was a bottle ban. Of course, I don't generally buy anything inside the park. I take what I need with me. It's called being prepared!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 am

Keane Wonder Mine Reopening!
Finally reopened this month. Nine years and so little done in that time. Your tax dollars wasted, as usual. But at least it's open again...
Prior to the closure, Keane Wonder Mine had been the most popular and most heavily visited mine site in the park.
It was closed in 2008 due to:
1) unsafe mine openings along popular trails
2) concerns about the stability of the tramway due to tension from the cables
3) concern about the contents of the mill tailings

LINK:
https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/historyculture/keane-wonder-mine.htm
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 am

deathvalleyjake: The closing was completely unnecessary and it took them a ridiculously long time to do what they wanted to do. I understand the fear was that there might be a lawsuit if some idiot got hurt, but that's where our legal system should step up to the plate and do something about people shifting the blame from themselves and onto someone else.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby hungrybill » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am

I'm glad that the Keane Wonder Mine is finally open again. I hear it's still a couple years before Scotty's Castle gets reopened. While I'm glad that they finally reopened Wildrose Road not too long ago, I can't get over how long it takes for things to get done in DVNP. For such a popular park it sure seems like they take their sweet time when it comes to repairs.
hungrybill
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Local News