Local News & Events

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Local News & Events

Postby surfsteve » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am

When I heard the story yesterday I was told that the police actually caught him yesterday in the act of forcing her to have sex with him, which sounded kind of crazy. It is amazing how twisted people's stories get when being spread by word of mouth.

On the picture it says Chris Martin, 17 hours ago. Since Chris Martin is the Author of the story it leads me to believe that the story was written 17 hours ago and that the picture was probably from a much earlier time. It's misleading to put that information in the picture. What ever happened to captions describing what the picture was about? To be fair it should have either said it was taken from file footage or when it was taken.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 am

A couple different names are floating around pertaining to the identity of the accuser. I won't repeat them since it's not considered ethical to share the name of an accuser in a sex crime case, especially if the accuser is under eighteen, but like surfsteve says, there are lots of rumors going around and they probably aren't all accurate.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am

I remember growing up as a kid in the early '60's thinking how unfair racism was back then, only to have discovered after Kennedy was killed that instead of being fair they took it 180 degrees in the other direction. I agree that something needs to be done; but like a car flipping from over correcting to avoid an accident this whole pedophilia thing could very easily turn into a modern day witch hunt.

I suppose Shadylady: that even though it might shed some light, releasing the girls name would be just as unfair as releasing the name of the accused before he was proven guilty.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

surfsteve wrote:I suppose Shadylady: that even though it might shed some light, releasing the girls name would be just as unfair as releasing the name of the accused before he was proven guilty.

Absolutely! If it's considered ethical to release the name of the accused, then the name of the accuser should also be released. This applies even if the accuser is under eighteen because of the gravity of the situation. Just being accused of a crime like this can ruin someone's life. The accuser should not get off without exposure and the possible social consequences of making an accusation. People sometimes lose their jobs just as a result of just being accused of this sort of thing. The accuser gets off without any hitches and if the accuser turns out to be a false accuser (which is often the case) there still are not likely to be any repercussions. Not fair! Not fair at all!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:50 pm

The accusers in the Salem Witch trials were all under aged girls and enjoyed the status of being every bit as famous as today's rock stars.

On a side note rather than being afflicted by witchcraft the girls afflictions were probably caused by the ergot fungus which commonly grew on rye and caused LSD like hallucinations.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

The mere fact that bail was set at only $50k shows that law enforcement doesn't consider the case against the accused very strong. I'm surprised he was even arrested with bail set that low for a felony that could potentially land him in prison for over ten years and land him on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life. Most likely the charges will be dismissed in a few weeks and the accusations will be deemed unfounded (aka, it was a false accusation).
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:21 am

ergot: There are a number of rumors going around. The consensus is that he'll be charged and that the accusation is valid. There's also a rumor that there may be other perps. The bail amount is pretty low, but it may be that he's not considered a flight risk for any number of possible reasons. It's surprising that there hasn't been another article considering the amount of info circulating around Trona and Ridgecrest!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Rumors, Rumors, Rumors

Postby wildrose » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am

tronagirl: I don't have a lot of faith in rumors. All I know at this point is what the newspaper said. Everything else is speculation. When people start talking the story is likely to get all twisted around and different people add things here and there that they assume for one reason or another. Accusations are sometimes true and sometimes they are false. You just never know and even after a verdict is reached, there is often doubt about whether or not it is based on what really happened. The justice system is a crapshoot.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 am

Suspect pulls gun on clerk in Ridgecrest
I hate to see this kind of thing. Hopefully they catch the thug quickly. Anyone who would offend in this manner using a gun should be put away for a long, long time, if not permanently.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:01 am

Junior Rodeo comes to Kernville
Here's an interesting event that took place in Kernville...
The Kern Valley (KV) Junior Rodeo debuted last year in Ridgecrest, and now Kernville has been added to its rodeo schedule. On April 14-15 at the Kernville rodeo grounds, kids from ages 1 to 18 participated in over 60 rodeo events that were modified to fit the age and size of the contestants.

... but which is organized by people from Trona.
The KV Junior Rodeo was founded and is run by Skylar and Melissa McCullar of Trona, and Melissa’s mother, Colleen Brock, of Inyokern. After many years being organizers for large rodeos in Ridgecrest, they saw the need for a separate and regular rodeo schedule for younger kids.

LINK: https://kernvalleysun.com/junior-rodeo-comes-to-kernville/
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News