Walmart In The News!

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Walmart In The News!

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 am

I don't like the new Walmart. You'd think because they have a bigger store that they wouldn't be running out of stuff but instead of it being better it's much worse. It's almost like they run out of the fast moving economical items intentionally and try and force you to buy more expensive and probably more profitable items instead; of which the new store has a lot more of.

While just like our little Home Depot, you can order anything they don't stock and have it delivered to the store, I can more often find what I'm looking for online somewhere else for about the same price than Walmart and have it delivered directly to my home. This isn't so often the case with Home Depot; probably because building materials tend to be heavier and more expensive to ship than the things Walmart sells so I often find myself picking them up directly at Home Depot.

I usually feel like I am in a prison upon exiting Walmart after having to show the guard at the door my receipt which didn't happen so often at the old Walmart. I actually did get out of the new store once without showing my receipt because the guys back was turned while he was checking someone else and even though I paid for everything I felt liberated because I had gotten away with it. The whole process sort of reminds me of Homeland Security at the air port; only you don't have to take off your shoes and belt before exiting the store and get x-ray-ed. At least not yet... You also don't have to worry about being taken somewhere in the back to be strip searched... Do you?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 am

I've walked out without getting my receipt checked several times, but I don't think that has anything to do with moving to the bigger building. I think that's a result of the plastic bag law that was passed in November. Since some people just put their stuff back in the basket without bags, it's sometimes difficult to tell who has paid for stuff and who hasn't unless you check for receipts. You can thank the people of California for voting in the bag law and forcing stores to employ extra security measures like checking for receipts. I didn't vote for the bag law, but the majority did.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Nothing new about a receipt checker in the Super Wally*Worlds they do it regularly in the Lancaster and Bakersfield ones.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 am

Many Americans Spent Money at Walmart Last Year
Many? More like MOST!!!! Or maybe ALMOST ALL!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Amazon Be Warned, The Online 'War' Is On With Wal-Mart, Analyst Says: Bottom Line | CNBC
If the result is lower prices for consumers, then this is good news!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Google to join forces with Walmart
Amazon could be in some trouble if this partnership works out!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:55 am

Walmart Fires Employee: Was It Legal?
Walmart is frequently the "target" of complaints about the way it treats its employees. Although I like the low prices at Walmart, I don't like the idea that they view employees as expendable.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 am

Walmart wants to stock your fridge for you :wtf:
How would this be a game-changer? It's just a convenience for a few people who don't have time to shop. Most people wouldn't want strangers entering their house to stock their fridge. It seems kind of creepy to me and a great way for potential thieves to see what might be in the house worth stealing.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Walmart in The News!

Postby tronagirl » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 am

twister: I could see this service as being useful for people who are incapacitated and for those who are super busy and who can afford the service fees. Other than that, I agree that most people wouldn't want a stranger in their house unnecessarily. It sure has heck ain't a game-changer, but it might be an attractive option for a small percentage of the population.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Walmart May Make An Unlikely Partnership
Brick and mortar stores are expected to close shop at an increasing rate, while Amazon and Walmart will each gain increasingly large amounts of business.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News