TJUSD Board Meeting - October 09, 2014

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - October 09, 2014

Postby mrgreen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Student Facing Terroristic Threat Charges After Decorating High School Bathroom With Laughable 'Satanic' Graffiti
This seems like nothing more than vandalism to me and might be worth 40 hours of community service time at the maximum. To construe this as some kind of terrorist threat required someone to perform some mental gymnastics and was nothing more than an exercise in creative stupidity. It seems that an awful lot of stupid makes it in the news lately. I think the USA is in the middle of a stupidity epidemic!
With terroristic threat laws, the suspicious talk itself is the crime, not just evidence of plans for one. The cops can arrest for the threat charge and investigate the possible underlying violent scheme later. Meanwhile, the accused is not simply enduring the inconvenience of a police inquiry. He is locked up. Even if he is ultimately acquitted or charges are dropped, months of lost liberty is too high a price for using gauche language or failing to understand his audience’s sensitivities. It’s too high a price when police could have investigated the old-fashioned way.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141106/19035829074/student-facing-terroristic-threat-charges-after-decorating-high-school-bathroom-with-laughable-satanic-graffiti.shtml
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - October 09, 2014

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:31 am

mrgreen: I'm not even sure if it should count as vandalism. If it can be scrubbed off the wall or covered with a quick coat of paint, then the cost of clean up plus a few hours of detention would be more than adequate. The article is pretty funny though. The kid didn't even draw the pentagram correctly! Don't they teach kids ANYTHING in school nowadays?!! LOL
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News