Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Neighbors

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 am

I've noticed that many people in Ridgecrest seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about Trona. It's usually not very nice and lots of inaccurate assumptions are made. To be honest I find most of Inyokern and the area around Monroe MS much less desirable than Trona. Of course Trona does have areas which are particularly run down, but no worse than Red Mountain, Johannesburg, and Randsburgh. Some of the towns near Bakersfield are in bad shape and even Kennedy Meadows has some pretty poorly maintained dwellings. Oh yes, I should not leave out Keeler, Darwin, Olancha, and Pearsonville, just to name a few more.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby JanuaryJones » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am

The area north of Palm Springs and south of Apple Valley gets a bit run down too. The real estate in most of the coastal cities is so expensive that run down houses get bought up and torn down and replaced with expensive homes. But most anywhere else there are plenty of run down areas whether you're talking estern Kalifornia or Nevada or Arizona or Texas or whereever at least that's been my experience.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby pdm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 am

MojaveMike: tronagirl is right about people around Monroe MS and so are you. The truth isn't always pleasant I suppose. But as they say. Let the chips fall where they may.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:27 am

Everyone I know who lived near Monroe moved out as soon as they could. Of course, the area near Pierce Elementary has quite a reputation as does Inyokern. Ridgecrest has some real trouble spots and so I would definitely agree that many parts of Trona are far preferable without a doubt!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 am

Police are much too tolerant of domestic violence here in Trona.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 am

That kind of behavior will destroy a civilization over time.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby pdm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 am

surfsteve: I haven't heard anything about any problems with domestic violence in Trona. I've heard all sorts of stories about that kind of thing in Ridgecrest and InyoKern, but Trona is kind of boring as far as that kind of thing goes and boring is a good thing obviously.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:09 am

I asked a friend of mine who keeps his police scanner on all day and he wasn't aware of any domestic violence issues. There were a couple assaults, assorted burglaries, disorderly conduct, some vandalism, and that sort of thing, but nothing about domestic violence. Where are you hearing about domestic violence?
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:19 am

twister: That area near Pierce Elementary is known as Criminal Gardens. I've driven through that area a couple of times. Most of the people are probably trying to do their best to improve themselves, but there's no hiding the fact that some pretty messed up people live in that neighborhood.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 am

I've been told by more than one person that police are hesitant about making minor arrests in Trona because they can no longer take them to Ridgecrest jail and have to take them all the way to Barstow. Wast told the police were called last week again at my apartment complex. Must have been true as there are broken windows and a smashed up gate as evidence. No idea why your friend didn't hear it on the police scanner.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News