Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Neighbors

Postby twister » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 am

Man Shot Three Neighbors He Feuded With, Killing Two
Basic consideration, civility, and politeness can go a long way when it comes to nipping a bad situation in the bud before it evolves into something much worse.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:33 am

twister: All that over a package delivery dispute? Amazing! Obviously there's more to it. The people clearly all had issues and it was just the wrong group of people and the wrong assortment of issues interacting. Over time the chemistry of the situation was bound to result in a downward spiral and that's what happened. People (even those with issues) would be doing themselves a favor by just exercising a little common consideration and apply the Golden Rule every now and then.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:34 pm

The Rolling Stones - Neighbours - Official Promo :dizzy:
It's an oldie and a goodie and it fits perfectly with the topic!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 am

sandman: Yes, applying the Golden Rule works in most situations. If we are mindful we can avoid provoking people and if we practice a little tolerance we can usually avoid being provoked. The problem is when inconsiderate people encounter intolerant people. That's when conflict develops, tempers fly, and the situation deteriorates.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby camel » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:41 pm

cactuspete wrote:
wildrose wrote:10 dogs poisoned in 1 neighborhood, owners heartbroken
Here we see a misattribution of blame. If the dog owners were responsible, no one would have felt it necessary to poison their dogs. Dog owners who allow dogs to bark irritate neighbors. It stands to reason that occasionally someone will deal with the situation by eliminating the source of the disturbance since law enforcement won't do anything about the problem. If the dog owners really cared about their dogs they'd do something about the barking. Presenting this story as if the dog owners are victims distorts the true nature of the situation and is terrible reporting. I'm not condoning the poisoning of dogs, but neighbors are put in an impossible situation by irresponsible dog owners and so the real focus here should be on the irresponsible dog owners.

wildrose: I concede many of the point you makes, but I wonder if authorities have looked into natural causes as an explanation for the deaths of the dogs. They seem to be assuming that the dogs were intentionally poisoned. There could be something else causing their deaths. Although the natural cause presented in this video isn't the likely cause, I'm sure there are other harder to detect possible causes to account for the death of the dogs.

Doesn't sound like a very quick way of eliminating an annoying canine and it doesn't even seem like there would be a high probability that this plant would even have the intended effect, but I'm sure foxtail is only one of many plants that could potentially be harmful to dogs. It would be interesting to know exactly how many dogs per year die as a result of foxtail. A quick web search yielded this info about foxtails:
Foxtails can wind up virtually anywhere in the body, and associated symptoms vary based on location. For example, a foxtail within the ear canal causes head shaking, under the skin a draining tract, or within the lung, labored breathing and coughing. Not only is the dog’s body incapable of degrading or decomposing foxtails, these plant awns are barbed in such a way that they can only move in a “forward” direction.

LINK:
http://thebark.com/content/protecting-your-dog-against-foxtails
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby camel » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Severely Toxic Plants to Dogs :prof:
The chances of a dog dying as the result of ingestion of any plant is extremely low since dogs tend not to eat plants, but this is an interesting list nonetheless.
* Seeds and berries can be a major concern for dog owners. Rosary pea and castor bean seeds can quickly spell disaster for your pet, often leading to death. Both mistletoe and jasmine berries can cause digestive and nervous system failure, resulting in death. Yew berries (as well as foliage) can cause sudden death.
* Plants like poison and water hemlock can lead to violent, painful convulsions and death.
* Large amounts of raw or cooked rhubarb can also cause convulsions followed by coma and death.
* Jimsonweed leads to extreme thirst, delirium, incoherence, and coma.
* Both the twigs and foliage of cherry trees can be fatal to dogs if eaten as well.
* While all parts of the plant can be toxic, the leaves of sago palms can cause severe kidney and liver damage, even death, to dogs if ingested. Seeds are also severely toxic.

LINK:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/plants-poisonous-to-dogs.htm
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Can chocolate really kill your dog?
I've heard that antifreeze and chocolate are two common substances that can kill dogs. Here's the scoop on chocolate:
Different types of chocolate contain different levels of theobromine and caffeine. For example, white chocolate and milk chocolate contain lower levels, and therefore are considered less of a threat, while dark chocolate and dry cocoa powder have much higher levels and are much more dangerous. And of course, the smaller the dog the less it takes to cause serious problems with his or her health.

http://www.petparents.com/show.aspx/dogs/dog-lifestyle/can-chocolate-really-kill-your-dog
And here's the scoop on antifreeze:
Since 1927, when Prestone first popularized non-alcohol automotive radiator coolants, ethylene glycol (EG), its active ingredient, has been the most common cause of serious accidental poisoning of dogs and cats. Diethylene glycol (DEG)is another chemical that is potentially toxic to your pet’s kidneys. It would be most likely to be found in your home in household cleaners. Ethylene glycol is a syrupy liquid with no color, no odor and a taste that is described as somewhat sweet.

http://www.2ndchance.info/antifreeze.htm
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:43 am

I'll admit that dogs can be a major pain in the ass and I've had friends who were practically driven crazy by dogs that barked around the clock, but I don't think I could ever hate a a dog enough to kill it. I might be able to kill the owner of the dog, but not the dog. The dog can't help if its owner is an irresponsible scumbag!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:19 am

Drone Enabled Dog Killing Spree
This is from what they call the Dark Web via a friend and so it's probably only partially accurate. The story is that several cities including Los Angeles and Phoenix have been hit by drone enabled dog killing sprees. The way it's done is drones enabled with night vision cameras and containers to carry and deposit liquid are used to drop antifreeze into dog bowls in backyards. Supposedly the total kill count is something in the neighborhood of a couple to three dozen dogs so far with at least as many winding up requiring a trip to the vet. Like I say, I'm not sure of the veracity of this report, but it sounds feasible, although I don't know if a drone could carry much liquid and still get off the ground. To add to the intrigue supposedly this is available as a service for hire on the Dark Web. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap? I'm not sure what the fee would be, but I'm sure there are millions of people across the nation that would be willing to pay good money to eliminate certain loud dogs from their neighborhoods. (Cross posted in drones, neighbors, and dark web threads.)
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dustdevil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:15 am

ergot: Maybe you should have also posted this to the Want Ads forum. It might fit well under a thread titled Services Offered. Not that I want to encourage this sort of thing, but just as a joke. Dog owners might not find this humorous, but the rest of us who are forced to put up with their inconsideration certainly do!
dustdevil
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Local News