TJUSD Board Meeting - September 10, 2015

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - September 10, 2015

Postby a2z » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:50 pm

cactuspete: Invite to MIT = ULTIMATE GEEK CRED :thumb:
While most moronic teenagers are playing football or wasting time on pointless video games, this kid actually does something that requires some brains. It's nice to know that there actually is some intelligent teenage life in existence on the planet. Poor kid though lives in Texas which explains the moronic actions of his teachers and the cops!
:smack:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Hoax Bomb

Postby wildrose » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am

mrgreen: Delusional law enforcement officers and detectives are a prevalent problem. People can drive themselves crazy imagining hypothetical worst case scenarios. They can get carried away and obsessed with their hyperbolic fantasies and convince themselves that the incredibly unlikely is a common and persistent threat. Add to that the media which constantly hypes sensational news stories so that some of these uncommon crimes seem to be much more common than they actually are and it's not too surprising that cops often over-react and perceive their paranoid behavior as normal and even prudent.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:03 am

New TJUSD Superintendent: Dr. Keith Tomes

Dr. Keith Tomes took over as superintendent of the Trona Joint Unified School District on September 15, 2015.

A farewell party for Joanna Rummer, who served as interim superintendent, was held September 16. During the event a fun “passing of the torch” ceremony was held in which Rummer passed a Tornado megaphone (serving as a symbolic torch) to Tomes.

The Trona Teachers Association presented Rummer with a couple gifts, including a copy of Around Trona and Searles Valley, California (Images of America Series) by Fairchild, Kaldenberg, and The Searles Valley Historical Society. Additionally the Trona Classified Employees Association purchased a copy of the 2015-2016 Trona High School Yearbook, which Rummer will receive once it is actually published.

Following the “passing of the torch” ceremony and the presentation of gifts, Tomes introduced himself to the teachers and other staff members attending the event. He stressed that he intended on honoring the past, but adapting to the demands of the future.

During the last three months TJUSD has been run by three different superintendents. Dave Olney left at the end of June and Joanna Rummer served as interim superintendent from the time that Olney left and until Tomes arrived.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:59 pm

a2z wrote:cactuspete: Invite to MIT = ULTIMATE GEEK CRED :thumb:
While most moronic teenagers are playing football or wasting time on pointless video games, this kid actually does something that requires some brains. It's nice to know that there actually is some intelligent teenage life in existence on the planet. Poor kid though lives in Texas which explains the moronic actions of his teachers and the cops!
:smack:

Ultimate Geek Cred indeed. Getting busted by halfwits might be the best thing that ever happened to the kid. Hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:32 am

MIT Says Ahmed Mohamed Is The Ideal Student
Ana Kasparian says that some teachers were ALARMED by the clock that Ahmed made. Does this mean that it was an ALARM CLOCK?
:laugh:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:59 am

Teen slams W.H. after young clockmaker gets invitation
The thirteen year old complaining about Obama's support for the kid who made the clock completely misses the point. There is no reason why Obama should invite thugs (or members of their family) to the White House, even if hypothetically they were involved in a situation in which cops had to resort to violence. Ahmed, on the other hand, exemplifies exactly the kind of behavior we want young people to engage in. He wasn't being a thug, causing trouble on the streets, he was tinkering and experimenting and when he took a science project to school to share it with his teachers, he was victimized by authority figures who completely misunderstood what he was about and who he was. When police shoot a thug it is because the thug was misbehaving in the first place and even if the police over-reacted, the thug still does not deserve any kind of reward for his behavior, nor should the parents of the thug receive condolences from the president.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:02 am

Bill Maher's take on 14-year-old's arrest
I have to disagree with Maher. I'm not a tinkerer, but even I realize that a bomb has to have a payload and I simply would have talked to the student if something like this had happened while I was teaching. Common sense is all that is required. The disposition (happy and proud) of the student while he's showing off his creation would be a pretty strong clue, his explanation (how it works and its purpose) for the contraption would be another, and the lack of a payload (no explosive material) would be another.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Alarm Clock

Postby tronagirl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:43 am

panamint_patty: Good one! I'm glad to see that the young man has been vindicated and that the adults responsible for this fiasco have been shamed. While I don't condemn the teachers and cops responsible for this situation, I do think they deserve to be openly criticized. A little common sense goes a long way!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 pm

The Clock Boy Hoax
Let the backlash begin! :yup:
Actually this guy makes some pretty good points, but I still say the kid should not have been arrested.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Bill Maher & Sarah Palin Agree: Arrest Clock-Wielding Muslims Just In Case :roll2:
Cenk goes a little-over-the top attempting to refute Maher. Although I disagree with Maher, his argument is MUCH STRONGER than Cenk's argument. Apparently many TYT viewers see it that way too. The thumbs down for this video rant far outnumber the thumbs up votes. Ultimately Cenk yells a lot and gets overly excited, but he constructs a horrible argument and makes himself look foolish in the eyes of anyone who cares about logic and reason and who doesn't get distracted by stupid emotionality. Ultimately I agree with Cenk, but his ability to put together a reasonable argument SUCKS BADLY. Maher wins the debate by a landslide.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News