TJUSD Board Meeting - January 14, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 14, 2016

Postby shadylady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 am

UK Police Deny Misspelling Led To Investigation, Say It Was Other Schoolwork Instead :smack:
Although they deny it, you know darn well that this is a situation that could have been resolved with a couple intelligent questions. The first line of defense against this kind of thing is the teacher. All the teacher had to do was ask the student for clarification. Next if the teacher kicks this up to the principal or counselor, it's really easy for the principal or counselor to apply a little commonsense. Assuming that so far all the adults in the equation are morons and they call law enforcement, then most any officer should be competent enough to correctly understand the situation. If it turns out that all of them are morons, then it turns into a headline like this.
...an elementary school kid in the UK earned a visit to his home from authorities after writing in an English assignment that he lived in a "terrorist house", when he ... was trying to say he lived in a "terraced house." The crux of this story was that the UK's Anti-Terrorism law, which requires that school teachers act as surveillance agents for the state... The resulting visit to the boy's home by the authorities from a misspelled word was billed as an example of this overreach by government.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160122/07335533405/uk-police-deny-misspelling-led-to-investigation-say-it-was-other-schoolwork-instead.shtml
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Terrorist Houses

Postby desertrat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 am

shadylady: The key here is a sense of humor. Intelligent people tend to have a very good sense of humor. People who are less than intelligent tend to be overly serious and apply rules in a very literal manner. A teacher with a sense of humor would have laughed at the terrorist house mistake and then asked the student what he or she meant. It takes a total moron to take the student's misspelling at face value. It's sad that so many morons wind up in positions of authority.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Teacher Trial with Ronda Rousey - SNL
All HS teachers should be females as hot as the two defendants featured in this SNL skit!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Teacher Trial

Postby dilbert » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 am

mrgreen: I'd be proud of my son if he were double-teamed by two hot teachers for five hours! That kid rules! At sixteen I was still all about playing with LEGOs! LOL That's a quote from the end of the video. I wasn't actually playing LEGOs when I was sixteen. I swear, no matter what anyone says. I wasn't! LOL
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Re: Teacher Trial

Postby JanuaryJones » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:24 am

mrgreen and dilbert: Very funny, but in real life the teachers are never that hot. To have two hot woman teachers at once would be like winning the lottery. In a case where the women are legitimately attractive and the boy legitimately wanted the sex, I don't see how anyone can seriously argue that any harm was done... except for those, like the mom in the video, who want to make a big deal out of nothing and maybe as a result receive some kind of paycheck.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby tronagirl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Bakersfield City School District passes new labor contract
There's expected to be a 30,000 shortage of teachers this next year and so Bakersfield is removing the salary cap for new hires so that they'll be able to attract teachers to work for them.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Teacher Shortage

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 am

tronagirl: Removing the $60k cap for new hires is going to make it a lot easier for Bakersfield to attract new teachers, but it's going to raise the bar and other districts are going to have a tough time competing with that kind of incentive. Somewhere I heard that the teacher shortage is pretty severe and 30,000 sounds about right.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:37 am

Million-Dollar Gift Will Put Entire Class Through College
I may be a bit skeptical, but I'm willing to bet that only a few of these kids will actually graduate with a four-year degree. The biggest problem is that no one will know the outcome of this little experiment for sixteen or so years.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:42 am

Colorado school district bans Manning jerseys
The commentator is like all upset and I'm like meh... :roll2:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Manning

Postby CoolChick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:23 am

School Bans Manning Jerseys: No loss. Move on. Get over it. It's not even worth mentioning! LOL
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Previous

Return to Local News