ATV/ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 am

recluse wrote:Two Organizations Fighting To Stop Off-Road Vehicle Abuse
https://deepgreenresistancesouthwest.org/civilization/ecocide/habitat-loss/stop-road-vehicles/
https://orvwatch.com/
I did a little web surfing and found some hints of militant anti-off-road activity, but most of that was limited to how to make caltrops like what has already been posted. If off-road vehicle users practiced basic courtesy and they were always respectful and responsible there would be no issue, but like MojaveMike said, it only takes a few idiots to ruin things for everyone!

Part of the problem is that many off-roaders are oblivious as to why anyone would object to their activities. (It's a low-IQ thing to be sure, but not an insignificant number of off-roaders are from that demographic. Their less cognitively impaired comrades should probably help them become a little more self-aware.) At any rate, from what I've gathered from various interviews, articles, and blogs I've read or watched, websites I've visited, and conversations I've had with BLM rangers and conservationists, these are the primary complaints normal people make regarding off-roaders:
1) Dust
2) Noise
3) Destruction of natural resources
4) Risky behavior which puts others in danger
Here's what off-roaders should do to fix the situation:
1) Operate your ORV, quad, or motorcycle at least a quarter mile away from any campsites or dwellings.
2) Keep your ORV, quad, or motorcycle in proper operating condition so that it cannot be heard more than 100 yards away.
3) Respect nature. Don't plow down plants or ride off of approved routes or areas.
4) Be mindful of the safety of others.
Generally, it's a noise, dust, and environmental thing and it comes down to being responsible, respectful, and not being a self-centered scumbag.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:39 am

MojaveMike: I think you got it just about right. Off-roaders often act like they're the only ones in the world and they don't seem to understand the consequences of their behavior. I agree that there are responsible off-roaders, but the self-centered scumbags in the off-road community ruin it for everyone!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 am

panamint_patty wrote:MojaveMike: I think you got it just about right. Off-roaders often act like they're the only ones in the world and they don't seem to understand the consequences of their behavior. I agree that there are responsible off-roaders, but the self-centered scumbags in the off-road community ruin it for everyone!

Asking a self-centered scumbag to be considerate of others makes about as much sense as asking a fly not to land on shit. It's just what they do!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cloud » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:33 am

CrustyOldFart wrote:
panamint_patty wrote:MojaveMike: I think you got it just about right. Off-roaders often act like they're the only ones in the world and they don't seem to understand the consequences of their behavior. I agree that there are responsible off-roaders, but the self-centered scumbags in the off-road community ruin it for everyone!

Asking a self-centered scumbag to be considerate of others makes about as much sense as asking a fly not to land on shit. It's just what they do!

Self-centered scumbags are like spoiled children. In fact, they probably were spoiled children. They think the world revolves around them and they fail to realize that their behavior impacts other people. Their obliviousness is probably the result of stupidity. Intelligent people who were spoiled children generally grow out of that mind set since they learn from experience. Self-centered scumbags tend to stay self-centered scumbags for life, although I'd like to think there is a possibility that I'm wrong.
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am

cloud: Yeah, there's a chance that you're wrong, but it's somewhere between slim and none!
:laugh:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:04 am

Several Children Seriously Hurt in Utah ATV Accident
Irresponsible parents are the number one cause of child deaths and injuries.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 am

1 Killed In ATV Crash At Offroading Event In Llano
QUOTE: "Detectives suspect that alcohol and drugs may be to factor in this crash."
I'd throw in a heavy dose of STUPIDITY!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby KissMyTail » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 pm

14-year-old dies in off-road motorcycle accident in Dove Springs
Besides this death, there was a 19-year-old who was in a fatal off-road accident in the last couple weeks.
A 14-year-old boy was identified as the victim in a fatal off-road motorcycle accident that occurred Jan. 9 in eastern Kern County. Robert David Gaynor was the driver of the off-road motorcycle that collided with another motorcycle at the Dove Springs OHV Area near Red Rock Canyon State Park at 10:30 a.m, according to a report from the Kern County coroner’s office. He was taken to Ridgecrest Regional Hospital where he died hours later from his injuries.

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/14-year-old-dies-in-off-road-motorcycle-accident-in-dove-springs/article_497adb9c-576b-11eb-af89-efaa98088951.html
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Teen in critical condition after Tonopah ATV crash
The 17-year-old was from California. He wasn't wearing a helmet. It's not clear if the helmet would have saved him or not.
Eric Reyes, a California resident, was injured in an ATV accident Saturday in Tonopah, Arizona.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/teen-in-critical-condition-after-tonopah-atv-crash/75-8b3d6759-9408-4f22-9d75-232c44cfa2db
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: ATV/ORV Accidents

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:43 pm

STOPTHRILLCRAFT.ORG
This organization has an interesting way of looking at the problem of off-road vehicle abuse. I've seen plenty of damage done by these vehicles over the years and consider this issue to be a priority issue which should be the focus of some major and sweeping legislation.
Thrillcraft are machines used primarily for recreation. Examples of thrillcraft includes snowmobiles, jet skis, four wheelers, dune buggies, swamp buggies, and dirt bikes. When machines are used for “thrill seeking” they are, by our definition, a thrillcraft.

https://www.stopthrillcraft.org/definition.htm
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News