ATV/ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby sandman » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Dumb In Sixty Seconds: Go Kart Scene
One theory I have is that many parents who allow their kids to ride around on motorcycles, quads, and go karts see themselves as emulating this make-believe character from a dumb movie back in 2000. Instead of encouraging their kids to go out and get some healthy exercise, they provide motorized wheelchairs for them (aka, motorcycles, quads, etc.) so they can grow up to drive truck! It's a dumb way to bring up a kid, but when you're dumb enough to base your life on a lame movie, that's what you get!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby defcon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 pm

Instant Caltrops or Tire Spikes
Apparently anti-off-road types are getting more aggressive. I understand scattering these things around where people are illegally engaging in off-road activity or otherwise making a nuisance of themselves, but it's not cool to use these on legal dirt roads sanctioned by the BLM.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Instant-Caltrops/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520447300667699139/
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby defcon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Tips, Tricks & Know-how EP6 How to make Jack Rocks aka Caltrops :wtf:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Instant-Caltrops/
Apparently there are several creative alternatives when it comes to making these things.
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby whiskeypete » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 pm

There was a guy who scattered hundreds of these caltrop things all over the place around California City a while back. Or I should say people suspected that it was him. Anyways, dozens of off-road enthusiasts wound up with punctured tires and there was a call for an investigation, but the sheriff didn't want to go there since accusations against the guy were purely speculative.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby happy_hiker » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:32 am

There's a plant called caltrops and it's also known as puncture vine. It grows wild in the general area, but it requires a little more water than most desert plants. It's been known to puncture quad tires, but not much more. If I remember right the plant is supposed to help increase testosterone if taken as a herbal supplement. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's accurate.
happy_hiker
Greenhorn

Postby wildrose » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:48 am

Puncture Vine, also known as Tribulus terrestris, is a member of the Caltrop family of plants. And it's true that there are claims that supplements made with it as the main ingredient boost testosterone and increase male libido. However, according to WebMD this is a myth. Just the same some body-builders swear by it. BTW puncture vine is closely related to creosote (Larrea tridentata) which we see a lot of in the Mojave Desert!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 am

Law enforcement would never use spikes to combat illegal off-road activity. There are too many potential liabilities. However, those wishing to protect wildlife might be quite willing to do this sort of thing. It's a little extreme, but then again I've seen some extreme damage done by ORV nuts. Most ORV enthusiasts are reasonable people, but it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else. This is especially true when it comes to dirtbikes and quads. One idiot can do a lot of damage in very little time!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Two Organizations Fighting To Stop Off-Road Vehicle Abuse
https://deepgreenresistancesouthwest.org/civilization/ecocide/habitat-loss/stop-road-vehicles/
https://orvwatch.com/
I did a little web surfing and found some hints of militant anti-off-road activity, but most of that was limited to how to make caltrops like what has already been posted. If off-road vehicle users practiced basic courtesy and they were always respectful and responsible there would be no issue, but like MojaveMike said, it only takes a few idiots to ruin things for everyone!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby KissMyTail » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:43 am

recluse: What surprised me most is that you can actually buy these little caltrop things on Amazon and they aren't exactly expensive. I even found an anti-off-road group that had larger quantities available for even cheaper. I would have thought these things would be totally illegal.
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby desertrat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 am

MAKING CALTROPS QUICK
Sounds like a enjoyable hobby! Not really.... I wouldn't do this to innocent people, but idiots beware! Not to be used maliciously!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News