TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

Postby twister » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 am

School Bus Driver Reportedly Asked 'Are Y'all Ready to Die?' Before Crash
Maybe he was just having a bad day... :unsure:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:52 am

twister: He just went "postal" as they say. Probably his boss was harassing him with bad performance reviews and was threatening to fire him. Bad supervisors are at the root of most problems like this. On the other hand, maybe he was just mentally unstable. More likely it was a combination of a bad situation and being mentally unstable. Something needed to set him off, but he needed to be predisposed in that direction too.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 am

El Cajon boy may add up to "genius"
This seven-year-old is traveling to New York to participate in a Ted event. I'm not sure how he would fit into a regular elementary school classroom. He's definitely a candidate for a gifted program.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 am

Politically Correct Thanksgiving Pageant
It's the perfect school play! Guaranteed not to offend anyone!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:19 am

Guaranteed not to offend anyone? Good luck with that nowadays. People are triggered by anything and everything. Just those skin color tights would probably trigger about five percent of the population. I realize that the skit is a joke and all, but I'm just saying... LOL
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Why Trump's Education Secretary Is So Dangerous
This is an excellent discussion. TYT puts out a lot of weak videos, but this one is exceptionally strong. Excellent analysis and they stay on topic the entire time! TYT did their homework on this one!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:14 am

wildrose: A filthy rich bitch as education secretary? That makes absolutely no sense. Trump has not even been sworn in yet and already he's betraying his base. He went right to the very establishment that Trump supporters voted against in order to staff his cabinet. Talk about disenfranchisement of the working class. I don't care what race you are, if this bitch has her way we're all screwed!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:27 am

I'm not seeing how this is going against Trump's promise to his base. People that participate in the voucher program already put money into the public school program through their taxes. Shouldn't they have a right to get some of it back if they aren't using the system? What motivation do public schools have to perform better, if they have no other competition? Without competition why would any of them bother trying to make education great again? I think educators are just sore because Trump just lit a fire under their asses. Since Bush and Obama have been in charge American education values have gone down the drain. I look forward to a day when Asian kids ask American kids for help with their math homework!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Growing Evidence that Charter Schools Are Failing
The initial hype over charter schools gave way to a decidedly sad reality.
In a study of Chicago's public schools, the University of Minnesota Law School determined that "Sadly the charter schools, which on average score lower that the Chicago public schools, have not improved the Chicago school system, but perhaps made it even weaker."

They do no better than regular public schools despite the fact that they are more selective about the students they admit into their programs, but there's an even darker underbelly...
According to Integrity in Education, $100 million (ballooning in the past year to $200 million) in taxpayer money was lost, misused, or wasted in just 15 of the 42 states that have charter schools. The abuses are well documented. The report states: "Charter operators have used school funds illegally to buy personal luxuries for themselves, support their other businesses, and more."

LINK: http://www.commondreams.org/views/2015/07/06/growing-evidence-charter-schools-are-failing
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 am

wildrose: I know the charter school in RC is popular, but I also know that it is an exception to the rule. What I've heard is that ninety percent of charter schools fail within five years, that on average they perform below the level of public schools academically, and that the corruption factor is a monumental problem due to lack of regulations. So, it seems that it was an interesting experiment, but that charter schools need to be more carefully scrutinized to ensure that taxpayer moneys are not wasted or stolen by greedy entrepreneurial types out to make some quick easy bucks!.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News