TJUSD Board Meeting - December 13, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - December 13, 2016

Postby wildrose » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:58 am

Student: teacher routinely made racist comments
Charter schools generally pay teachers less than do public schools and so they attract less qualified teachers in general. Teachers who can't handle teaching at a public school are likely to be willing to work for less at a charter school. It's called passing the trash. Although there are a few good charter schools, the vast majority fail miserably.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

I heard some pretty interesting speculation about the Trump administration pushing vouchers and charter schools. Apparently he is appointing someone who is really behind those two initiatives as head of the department of education. BUT here's where it gets intersting. The state of California is planning on enacting legislation that will force any entity receiving public funds to have to follow the same strict guidelines that public schools are required to follow. Most charters and privates have very few rules they have to follow compared to public schools and the idea is that none of them would be able to operate if they had to follow the same rules. The irony being that Trump might ultimately and unintentionally put private schools and charter schools out of business if his person has her way.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 am

CactusHugger: I was under the impression that the state is already in the process of increasing requirements of both charters and privates. Both will be expected to employ fully credentialled teachers and both will be required to comply with a long list of rules and regs. Or at least there is legislation to that effect under consideration. I would imagine that should Trump's education person have her way that more extreme measures could be taken within the state. From what I've heard though, very little of what Trump's people want will materialize because the Trump administration will be bogged down with all sorts of other issues almost immediately or at least that's the scuttlebutt from people I talk to.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News