Local Crime

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Local Crime

Postby wildrose » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:16 am

A private citizen intervened and sacrificed his vehicle to stop the pursuit? I'd be surprised if his insurance company does anything to reward that kind of behavior. I could be wrong, but intentionally crashing a car probably disqualifies the driver from receiving compensation for damage to his car.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 am

When I read it I wondered if the person intentionally sacrificed their car. I was thinking maybe it was accidental because who would do that kind of thing on purpose?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 am

The wording of the press release makes it sound like the driver actively sacrificed his car. The private citizen is said to have actually intervened and collided his vehicle with the suspect's car. If it had been accidental, then this wording would be incorrect. So, either we have a case of poor and misleading writing or we can take the report as true as written.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 am

Actually we have a third and more logical choice and that is to wonder. I think I'll stick with that choice until I hear more facts indicating one way or the other...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

cactuspete wrote:The wording of the press release makes it sound like the driver actively sacrificed his car. The private citizen is said to have actually intervened and collided his vehicle with the suspect's car. If it had been accidental, then this wording would be incorrect. So, either we have a case of poor and misleading writing or we can take the report as true as written.

surfsteve wrote:Actually we have a third and more logical choice and that is to wonder. I think I'll stick with that choice until I hear more facts indicating one way or the other...

Actually cactuspete is correct. The word choice indicates clearly that the private citizen intended to stop the suspect's car using his own car. If we are to wonder, as you suggest, then we must conclude that the person who wrote the report made an improper choice of words. Cactuspete covered both of these possibilities in his assessment of the report.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:14 am

The wording of the Facebook post was strange, but my question is whether the posting was written by just some Facebook user or a professional reporter or if it was an actual law enforcement press release. It's kind of funny to think that an ordinary citizen would sacrifice his or her car over something like this.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildbill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 am

SPOTCRIME.COM
Here's an interesting site that shows recent crime locations and lists the type of crime (theft, burglary, assault, etc.).
https://spotcrime.com/ca/trona
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby pdm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am

wildbill: Interesting site. Not a huge amount of information, but I like the presentation on a map. It gives me an idea where the hot spots are and what kinds of crimes are being committed. Very little reading required is a bonus.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby pdm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:47 am

WALKING THE TALK ( STRAY DOG THE EXPOSER ) pls Subscribe link in description
This is kind of funny. I don't know what the law actually says on this matter, BUT the guy sure does a good job standing his ground. Funniest comment:
There are 3 requirements to be a cop Severe personality defect, IQ lower than 60, complete lack of knowledge of laws

Not that I'm advocating for disrespect of cops, but it is a funny comment and I have meet a few very stupid cops!
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 am

pdm: I don't know when a person is legally required to present identification, but it's always best to cooperate with law enforcement. Or at least most of the time that's the best policy. However, if you want to make a provocative video, debating them is not a bad idea. This guy's video is monetized and he has 36K views and so he's making at least some money for his efforts.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local News