Quick Local Items

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: New Laws for New Year

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am

New laws for education, healthcare and criminal justice
Another new year and another crop of new laws. This country is really productive when it comes to making lots of new (and mostly unnecessary and often counter-productive) laws. It used to be that we were the land of the free, now we're the land of the legally encumbered! If you're idea of freedom is having to think about what law you might be breaking every time you do absolutely anything, no matter how insignificant, then there is no shortage of "freedom" here in the good ole USA!!!
:smack:
A new year always comes with new laws and 2014 will be no exception. There are new laws in the field of healthcare that have nothing to do with Obamacare, such as capping the price of some cancer medications. New laws will protect children, on the Internet, the streets and in the penal system, and other laws protecting the rights of consumers.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20140101/NEWS/140109998
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

My Car After Last Night's Rain

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:12 am

I woke up this morning and there are still puddles since last night's rain but there are piles of salt crystals and flakes of paint coming off my car. I've never seen anything like it. Has this happened to anyone else? I will try and post some pictures of it in a bit.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: My Car After Last Night's Rain

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:25 am

None of the paint was blistering when I parked my car last night. Also it's strange that what was left looks just like snow. You can even leave footprints in it. 2 years ago my car was perfect. Last nights rain took a heavy toll on it though.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Light in the sky 10/7/18

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 pm

I didn't get to see it but my neighbor said there was a giant light in the sky about 20 minutes ago and he phoned everybody to look at it but me. It must have been huge because he phoned a relative in Louisiana and they said they could see it to.

There are already a few videos on youtube about it so I know he was telling the truth. At this point I have no idea what it was but Trump's presidential alert system didn't go off so apparently it wasn't a missile attack. When he described it the first thing that came to mind was a UFO but I can see from the videos that it looked more like a meteor or a comet. Someone in the video said they were testing some sort of jet propulsion but it seems kind of big for that if it could be seen from Louisiana too. Now that I think about it a meteor would be moving really fast so it's probably not that.

I'm sure a ton more videos will be going up about it but for now here's what I could find.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Light in the sky 10/7/18

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Apparently it was centered over Southern California. Here are some near by videos that are quite spectacular compared to the first ones I posted. At this point I'm not ruling out UFO but it looks like something man made that came from the ground. The tail is going the wrong way to have come from outer space.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 pm

SpaceX launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Apparently it is the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket which was launched a few minutes ago and is putting a satellite into space.

Here's a live video I am watching

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:43 pm

cactuspete wrote:SpaceX launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base.

I guess it was Trump's fault that I didn't know about it ahead of time because the media was focused on the supreme court nomination...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: SpaceX Launch

Postby tronagirl » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 am

Some friends and I were driving back from Ridgecrest when it happened. It was kind of neat. We mostly joked about aliens coming to take over the planet and that sort of thing. None of us knew anything about a scheduled launch or that Elon Musk was behind it.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:35 pm

SpaceX successfully launches – and lands – rocket in Southern California
According to this clip parts of the rocket are reusable.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News