Trona High School

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Trona High School

Postby rainbow » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:49 am

My favorite part of the video is at the end where a pruddish old lady scolds Ray Stevens for "barely staying within the bounds of what is presentable." To which Stevens replied, "Yeah, I did." Some people just need to have a sense of humor and there's no doubt that there were tons of people who were offended by this video. I don't get it. Why can't some people just laugh and enjoy the humor instead of being all outraged over a harmless joke? :laugh:
twister wrote:tronagirl: What I recall from when I was at THS was similar to what is described in the video you posted. It was probably worse in some ways and not so bad in other ways, but it was not taken seriously by anyone. It was just a fun tradition and maybe people went a little far every once in a while, but it wasn't anything to get all upset about. One story I heard about, but which was before my time at THS involved a couple guys streaking through the halls. For people unfamiliar with the term streaking, here's a video by Ray Stevens which explains the basic idea:
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cloud » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:28 am

What I understand is that the traditional Homecoming Week freshman slave auction was renamed and severely curtailed during the late 1990s. Society was becoming more politically correct and the idea of a "slave auction" was seen as racist by hypersensitive people overly eager to interpret a harmless event as racist. In any case, one of the more notorious stunts was based on this:
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:54 am

Homecoming Week Slave Auctions at THS
What I recall was there being a lot of cross-dressing. Also there was a lot of "masters" leading their "slaves" around on leashes. There were a number of other funny stunts which were embarrassing for the "slaves," but it was all in fun and of course it was voluntary with proceeds going to the freshman account which of course followed them to their senior year to help pay for the senior trip and other things. It was one of the best fund raisers available until it was basically banned due to political correctness.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby torn80 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:16 am

Homecoming Week Hijinks Were Legendary
Mostly it was just silly, harmless fun. There was a fair amount of cross-dressing and the auction itself would be frowned upon nowadays, but the wilder stuff was done outside of school assemblies. For instance, I recall a striptease that took place up by the football field during lunch without any school staff present. It was just a funny stunt that a slave had to do to fulfill his master's request. Everybody was laughing at how ridiculous it was and even the slave was laughing as he did what he had to do. Nothing disgusting or improper, just bizarre and funny as heck! Nowadays people would have a conniption fit and they might even threaten to sue the school if they heard about something like this.
torn80
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 pm

twister wrote:
tronagirl wrote:I'm aware of a pep rally just a few years ago where the students had a "Twerk Off" contest. People say that it was pretty funny, but "Twerk Off" sounds an awful lot like "Jerk Off" and the joke was that there was an awful lot of that after the pep rally. Hormone levels sometimes dictate behavior and there's no doubt that teenage boys are easily excited.

panamint_patty wrote:I heard about that Twerk Off thing. I think it's happened more than once, but it's an obvious party or pep rally kind of game or competition. Harmless fun, but likely to catch the attention of prudish people who have nothing better to do than complain about that kind of thing.

THS has had quite a few questionable competitions during pep rallies over the years. There are some complaints from the community, but generally it's been tolerated since it's just kids having fun. If people wanted to get picky there could have been some issues, but mostly it's just been seen as fun that might get a little edgy at times.

It's likely that lots of high schools were doing that kind of thing just a couple years ago, but right now there's a national sensitivity to anything that is even slightly suggestive. Things which were quite common in the past are now being scrutinized. There is a lot of inconsistency and lots of moving of the goal posts going on.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby rainbow » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:52 am

12-YO Takes His Life After Being Bullied For His Sexuality
Most bullying is done by intolerant religious nutjobs. This is especially true in Trona. Conservatives as a whole have turned the corner and have become increasingly tolerant of alternate sexual orientations, but fundamentalists haven't given up on sexual intolerance. They persecute and bully and self-righteously believe that that's what the Bible tells them to do.
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:13 am

rainbow: Libtards make things worse when they push stupid ideas about pronouns, gender neutral restrooms, boys playing on girls' sports teams, and other such nonsense. If libtards would be a little less extreme, it would be easier to get religious nutjobs to be more reasonable. Turn down the heat and things will cool off, but nobody is without fault here and so don't pretend that all the blame goes in one direction. This specific incident is sad, but when it comes to bullying there tends to be a group of people who all deserve blame, but no single specific person can be pointed to in many cases. Distributed blame is difficult to deal with and most of the time that's what we're dealing with when it comes to bullying. This case might be an exception, but most likely it's typical of these types of situations.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:52 am

Michigan school shooting survivors’ attorney says school created ‘a danger’
California has a school initiative called PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) which makes it very difficult to remove a disruptive child from the classroom. The behaviors of the Michigan shooter wouldn't even come close to being considered disruptive and so PBIS actually increases the likelihood of this type of scenario developing. I know from "sources" that Trona is implementing PBIS and every parent with a child at the school should take a stand against PBIS being implemented at the school. Don't believe the propaganda either. They'll soft-pedal the program, but the reality is that it is a dangerous framework which makes it impossible to discipline unruly students since their rights to an education are considered more important than the rights and safety of others.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:12 pm

wildrose: For your information, the teacher-who-hugs-too-much (aka, psycho bitch) is also known as the PBIS Queen. What I hear is that she's in charge of making that program happen at the school. Everyone says she's kind of a busy body and that she thinks she's in charge of the school.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby defcon » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:33 pm

WHAT? Middle & High School Girls Encouraged To Protest in Skimpy Clothes
A cunning plan to say the least! :bow:
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News