Trona High School

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Trona High School

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:23 pm

pdm wrote:On top of that maybe one or two of the athletes at THS would even have a chance of making any teams there and you can forget about starting.

pdm: It's heart-warming how we can always count on you to say the nicest things! But seriously, you do make a good point and I must add even if they make the team, they still must remain academically eligible to play. So, your one or two who have a chance might fizzle down to zero by the time it comes to play the game.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:17 am

MojaveMike: Well, heart-warming not so much, but I appreciate your sarcasm. On the other hand, I was trying to be nice and I think I avoided being brutal. Reality can be harsh and I like to be real, but at the same time I hate being cruel. There's a fine line between harsh and cruel, I suppose.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby defcon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:24 pm

If Hogwarts Were an Inner-City School - Key & Peele :laugh:
The best part is where the principal talks about how his school compares with Hogworts and talks about "cultural bias" as the excuse for the low performance of his students. It's funny here, but the "cultural bias" argument was debunked long ago.... like in the 1960s!!!
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 am

defcon: You're exactly right about the cultural bias argument. Some people still believe that argument, but it was proven wrong a half century ago. Some people need to catch up with things!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

Plenty of people still make claims about cultural bias. Those claims were dealt with many decades ago as wildrose stated. Any test score differences which now exist between racial groups at this point reflect only one thing: INTELLIGENCE. There are significant differences between the average IQ of racial groups. That's an undeniable fact, but nonetheless there are plenty of people in denial. Reality is reality and those of us who acknowledge reality are not racist.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:23 am

drdesert: Heck no! Recognizing the facts only shows that you are open-minded and intellectually honest. The racists are those who don't believe in merit-based admissions and who push racial quotas.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:56 am

Trona Alma Mater
This might be of interest to some people:
Thumbnail Image
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am

So, a time capsule was buried at the football field yesterday. According to the kids of a friend and the friends of her kids the entire school was there and they were told that the capsule will be dug up in thirteen years, but then they said fifty years. Maybe there were two capsules, but then the kids joked about how funny it would be if someone dug up the capsules and switched out the contents. They had a bunch of ideas about different things to fill the capsules with, but I won't list them since most were a little bit in bad taste. LOL
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:14 am

I heard from some high school kids that it was a boring ceremony. Not much better than just going to class is how they put it. From what I was told it wasn't very well planned and a little corny. Not sure what kind of idiots come up with these ideas!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 pm

‘Our bit of time travel:’ Trona buries time capsules for future generations
To set the record straight, there were two time capsules:
One time capsule will be recovered in 13 years by the current kindergarten class, the future class of 2032. The second will remain buried for 50 years, to be recovered on July 4, 2069, on the anniversary of the magnitude 6.4 earthquake that hit the Searles Valley hard. Both were unremarkable in appearance, the 50-year capsule wrapped in a black plastic bag and the kindergarten one dressed up in a blue plastic bag.

Everyone I've heard from regarding this considers the whole thing a joke. Whether or not anyone shows up in 13 years or 50 years is hard to say, but by then the whole thing will seem even more pointless than it does now.
https://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20200207/our-bit-of-time-travel-trona-buries-time-capsules-for-future-generations
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News