Trona High School

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Trona High School

Postby twister » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:24 am

tronagirl wrote:I'm aware of a pep rally just a few years ago where the students had a "Twerk Off" contest. People say that it was pretty funny, but "Twerk Off" sounds an awful lot like "Jerk Off" and the joke was that there was an awful lot of that after the pep rally. Hormone levels sometimes dictate behavior and there's no doubt that teenage boys are easily excited.

panamint_patty wrote:I heard about that Twerk Off thing. I think it's happened more than once, but it's an obvious party or pep rally kind of game or competition. Harmless fun, but likely to catch the attention of prudish people who have nothing better to do than complain about that kind of thing.

THS has had quite a few questionable competitions during pep rallies over the years. There are some complaints from the community, but generally it's been tolerated since it's just kids having fun. If people wanted to get picky there could have been some issues, but mostly it's just been seen as fun that might get a little edgy at times.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:21 am

twister: True, but then you add to that all the sexually explicit songs and songs containing the n-word which have been played at school dances and things get a little raunchy. It's probably true that the same thing happens at most high schools, but I could see where some people might take offense. I mean this is a public school, not a private house party we're talking about.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shotgunmary » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:52 am

I haven't watched the high school graduation, but I hear that it's on YouTube. People say that the superintendent's speech was pathetic and they're calling him Dr. Airhead now instead of his real name. I guess his last name starts with an A, but it sounds like people weren't exactly impressed with his speech!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby torn80 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:56 am

:laugh: Yeah, the guy reminds me of Biden. He can barely utter a coherent sentence and he seems completely clueless. A true airhead without a doubt!
torn80
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:56 am

I talked to a couple recent THS graduates during the last couple weeks and both told me that they felt that THS did not prepare them adequately for college. Both dropped out within the first year and felt that the preparation they received at THS was markedly inferior to what other college freshmen received at their high schools. One of these individuals got mostly A's and B's and other never received a D or an F. One said that teachers at THS dumbed down what was taught in order to get more students to pass their classes. The other said that a lot of time was wasted on non-academic activities which were supposed to motivate students, but were really just pointless fun and games. Both adamantly insisted that if they had gone to a regular high school like the one in Ridgecrest, that they would have received instruction which adequately prepared them for college and that they would have felt more confident and would have not been so easily over-whelmed.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:51 am

I've heard similar stories many times. THS just doesn't do a good job of preparing students for the future and closing the facility is long overdue. It's time to move on and stop living in the past!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm

To Throw Good Money After Bad
If you say that someone is throwing good money after bad, you are critical of them for trying to improve a bad situation by spending more money on it, instead of doing more thoughtful or practical things to improve it. Further heavy intervention would be throwing good money after bad.

We're past the point of no return. It can be kept alive on artificial ventilation like some dying patient in an intensive care unit, but it's just not going to make it much longer and the kids should not be used to keep the memories of old people alive. It's just not fair and it's incredibly selfish of the old folks to stand in the way of progress!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:23 am

Here's a funny story I never shared on Trona News: Back in 2009 a student at THS kept track of how often she heard various inappropriate phrases during the school day. This could be between classes, during class, during lunch, or whenever, as long as there was an adult staff member within range where that person should have been able to hear what was said. The list of phrases she kept track of included things like "suck my dick," "kiss my ass," "that's gay," "suck my balls," "fuck you," "eat shit," and other similar things that teenagers (grades seven to twelve) often say. She did this for a month and at the end of the month she showed her results to Charlie Raff who was in charge back then. He said he had no control over what students said at school and that teachers did the best they could to keep things civil. This claim was made despite the fact that she heard an average of 32 such phrases uttered on a daily basis! Talk about failing to deal with a situation! Oh, and the other interesting thing was that kids in grades seven, eight, and nine said these things twice as often as older students.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:28 pm

Kentucky School Staff Get Lap Dances From Male Students in Lingerie
Crazier things happened at THS back a few decades ago. We held freshman slave auctions and slaves were required to do some crazy stuff for their masters. It was all a joke, but it was pretty outrageous stuff. This school in Kentucky is still doing that sort of thing and the guy in this video is going crazy over stuff that was considered normal not all that long ago. Guys often were required to dress up as girls and to do some abnormal stuff, but it was just a joke. Some of it probably went too far, but it was just a joke and everyone understood it to be a joke and BTW signing up to sell yourself as a slave was optional. It was all voluntarily and just done as part of a fun tradition. Nothing to get all bent out of shape about!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:41 am

tronagirl: What I recall from when I was at THS was similar to what is described in the video you posted. It was probably worse in some ways and not so bad in other ways, but it was not taken seriously by anyone. It was just a fun tradition and maybe people went a little far every once in a while, but it wasn't anything to get all upset about. One story I heard about, but which was before my time at THS involved a couple guys streaking through the halls. For people unfamiliar with the term streaking, here's a video by Ray Stevens which explains the basic idea:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News