Trona 4th of July Earthquake

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Stomach flu

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 am

I just got off the phone with someone that said we weren't even supposed to be showering in our water and that's why they had showers up at the school. I just figured it was in case the water went off again.

I grew up swimming in lakes, rivers and oceans. Only got sick once, though I was deathly ill. Much worse than I was this weekend. I remember getting body slammed that day after a bad wipe out and inhaling a mouth full of water. A friend said he saw hundreds of dead fish along the shore of the river that next day.

How long were we supposed to be boiling all the water we came in contact with? Do you suppose it's OK by now? I have all kinds of food in tupper dishes that I made that were not washed with boiled water. Just ate some this morning. Like I said I'm feeling 90% better so maybe I've developed some kind of immunity to it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

I drove by the old Albertsons in Ridgecrest Saturday and it appeared to be open. Apparently the rumors about it closing down permanently were false.

The Inshape gym is still closed. I got a text from them that the damage was mostly cosmetic and that it would be reopening soon. Also one that they would have an update today about when it was supposed to reopen but there hasn't been one as of yet.
Last edited by surfsteve on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:53 am

Another Pussy Complains About Jimmy Kimmel
Seldom to I bother watching the Jimmy Kimmel show, but I do find him mildly amusing most of the time. However...
Ridgecrest police chief doesn't find Jimmy Kimmel earthquake jokes funny

:laugh:
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jimmy-kimmel-earthquake-ridgecrest-mayor
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Stomach flu

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:46 am

A friend told me she absentmindedly washed some fruit with tap water and that an hour later she got a low grade headache and some mild abdominal cramping. Nothing too serious, but kind of uncomfortable is how she described it. Lots of bottled water has been handed out and is still available. Use that for washing fruit, dishes, brushing teeth, and anything that involves something that goes into your mouth. There's no word on when tap water will be considered safe. The system will need to be flushed and the way that happens is for people to use water. So, water any trees or plants you have. They probably need a little extra this time of year anyways.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am

I went shopping at the old Albertsons today and their entire ceiling was down. The manager said the store would be closing up a bit early every night to work on it till it was done.

The inshape gym sent a notice saying it would remain closed for at least another week.

I drove by the Family Dollar here in town and there were no cars in the parking lot so I assume it's still closed as is the dollar store in Ridgecrest.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Contaminated Water

Postby wildrose » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 am

Concerns About Water Quality Following Earthquakes
The water company issued a notice that tap water should be boiled before being ingested, but stated that the water should be safe to bathe in. For the most part that seems to be the case. However, I've heard of a number of cases of people who have developed rashes after showering. Here's what the advisory said on this topic.
Bathing and showering:
1) Be careful not to swallow any water when bathing or showering.
2) Use caution when bathing babies and young children.
3) Consider giving them a sponge bath to reduce the chance of them swallowing water

LINK TO WATER ADVISORY: http://wp.sbcounty.gov/cao/countywire/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/what-to-do-during-a-boil-water-advisory-1.pdf
Here's some info on SWIMMER'S ITCH which seems to match the symptoms I've heard about:
Swimmer's itch is an itchy rash that can occur after you go swimming or wading outdoors. Also known as cercarial dermatitis, swimmer's itch is most common in freshwater lakes and ponds, but it occasionally occurs in salt water. Swimmer's itch is a rash usually caused by an allergic reaction to parasites that burrow into your skin while you're swimming or wading in warm water. The parasites that cause swimmer's itch normally live in waterfowl and some animals. These parasites can be released into the water. Humans aren't suitable hosts, so the parasites soon die while still in your skin. Swimmer's itch is uncomfortable, but it usually clears up on its own in a few days. In the meantime, you can control itching with over-the-counter or prescription medications.

LINK: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/swimmers-itch/symptoms-causes/syc-20355043
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Contaminated Water

Postby twister » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:44 am

wildrose: A friend had symptoms that more or less match what you posted. I wonder if many people have experienced the same. Interesting and helpful info!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 am

What is the official status on the potability of our water? Are they saying it's safe to drink yet? I pretty much went back to using tap water as I normally did before the earthquake. I never did consider the stuff safe to drink. We get warnings all the time about it.

On a side note. Did you ever see people who would drink only bottled water use tap water to make coffee? Funny how many people do that.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 am

I just wanted to take some time to thank everyone for all their help. We've gotten a decade's worth of road repairs in the past week and the aid provided at the high school was out of this world. Water was back on lickety split and the electric was only off for a relatively short time. It seems Argus took most of the damage. Especially vulnerable were buildings made of block and block fences. The plant though doesn't seem to be up and running. These are only based on my observations. What do you guys think?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 am

I heard that the water was good to go. As for coffee, I have no issue with tap for coffee since the water is more or less boiled. Besides isn't coffee practically a disinfectant? I wouldn't drink straight, unfiltered tap water unless there was no other option available.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News