Crazy School Board Members

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Crazy School Board Members

Postby ergot » Mon May 03, 2021 8:01 pm

'Anti-woke' candidates win in landslide Texas school board election
Chances are none of the school board members in Trona have a clue about the "woke agenda," "diversity training," "critical race theory," or "systemic racism." All across the country these are hot topics, but people who live under a rock are oblivious to these issues.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu May 13, 2021 11:36 am

Grosse Pointe teacher roasts board of education in intense resignation speech
Most school boards are composed of know-nothing idiots who have axes to grind or pockets to fill. It's the same across the entire nation. What this guy has to say is so true and at the heart of most of what is wrong with public education.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun May 16, 2021 8:09 am

Last night a couple friends and I had an interesting discussion. We poked around FakeBook and here on TronaNews and compared various rumors we had heard about what's going on at the school. There are rumors that one of the board members is making deals with friends and here's what's up with that. He's telling them to file complaints against the school and then promising to facilitate "settlements" to avoid potential lawsuits. In the past he allegedly told friends of his daughter to file complaints against teachers as retaliation for bad grades or other negative situations at school. Well it seems that this has morphed into adults with kids at the school filing complaints in order to receive payoffs. It's an interesting scam and a corrupt board member might be able to talk other board members into agreeing to a settlement in order to avoid litigation. So far the rumor is that this has happened once, but I (and my friends) don't have any other details on exactly what happened beyond that.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Mon May 17, 2021 7:19 am

tronagirl: I've heard a similar story and I don't know if it's exactly true or some kind of story that's been stretched by a little bit. The general idea is that schools pay out settlements all the time in order to avoid expensive litigation. Parents complain about things which happen at schools all the time and sometimes these complaints can turn into lawsuits. So, a board member could facilitate a pay off by coaching a parent through the process and encouraging other board members to support some kind of settlement. If enough board members are in on this type of scam (or are gullible enough to go along with this scam), then parents can just take turns filing complaints and receiving payouts. I've heard of this type of scam being run elsewhere, but I would not be even slightly surprised if the board member in question is encouraging this type of thing.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shotgunmary » Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 pm

tronagirl and sandman: This reminds me of the credit union scam from a couple decades ago, back when it was called Searles Valley FCU and the only office was in Trona! Some people probably recall that a few staff members at the credit union were involved in some kind of financial scam. Ultimately they were caught, it looks like another small town scandal is on the way. This time it's board members encouraging friends to make bogus complaints in order to get payouts from the school. Pillars of the community trying to get away with pilfering funds. Same old story. Some things never change!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildbill » Tue May 18, 2021 5:54 am

I knew some of the people involved in the credit union scam and I know some of the people involved in this one. In both cases they seem like fine upstanding people. Pillars of the community as they say, but greed got the best of them.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby tronagirl » Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 am

Here's something I posted to the August board meeting thread:
tronagirl wrote:According to the stories I've heard (and they seem quite credible, but technically are just rumors) the daughter falsely accused a teacher of improper touching, there were also issues with accusing teachers of making mistakes on grading and treating the son and daughter unfairly, and on top of that the son was allegedly caught with drugs at school and assaulted a school employee in order to prevent the evidence from being confiscated. Somehow that incident got turned around and there was supposed to be a lawsuit against the school employee for assaulting the son even though the son was a big strong football player and the school employee was a middle-aged woman.

It seems clear that this guy is using his position as a board member to find ways to make easy money at the expense of the school. The county needs to look into this and not just take a casual look and sweep things under the carpet. This should not be allowed to happen and those at the county should not just look the other way and shrug it off as small time pilfering of public funds in a small town in the middle of the desert.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 am

tronagirl wrote:Here's something I posted to the August board meeting thread:
tronagirl wrote:According to the stories I've heard (and they seem quite credible, but technically are just rumors) the daughter falsely accused a teacher of improper touching, there were also issues with accusing teachers of making mistakes on grading and treating the son and daughter unfairly, and on top of that the son was allegedly caught with drugs at school and assaulted a school employee in order to prevent the evidence from being confiscated. Somehow that incident got turned around and there was supposed to be a lawsuit against the school employee for assaulting the son even though the son was a big strong football player and the school employee was a middle-aged woman.

It seems clear that this guy is using his position as a board member to find ways to make easy money at the expense of the school. The county needs to look into this and not just take a casual look and sweep things under the carpet. This should not be allowed to happen and those at the county should not just look the other way and shrug it off as small time pilfering of public funds in a small town in the middle of the desert.

Speaking of crazy school board members, wasn't there a school board meeting last night? Anybody know what happened? And generally speaking: "Many school board members complain that serving on the local school board is a thankless job. That's mostly because so few of them deserve any thanks." Not sure who said that, but it is so true!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:03 pm

U.K. immigrant delivers stunning words to PA school board: Simon Campbell on The Gorka Reality Check
Sometimes it's necessary to be rude! Of course, it's always best to try being polite first, but when that doesn't work no holds are barred!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby trumpster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:04 am

The word going around is that the school board hired a little dictator to run the school district. He's known as Dr. Airhead and a variety of other less flattering names. (I think his actual name begins with an A and so Airhead works and based on his lack of ability to explain even the simplest concepts, Airhead seems fully appropriate.) What is it about Trona? The worst people wind up on the school board and there is a pretty long list of incompetent and worthless superintendents. There have been a couple exceptions from time to time, but as a general rule the district has been poorly run.
Make America Great Again
trumpster
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News