How To Properly Talk To Children

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: How To Properly Talk To Children

Postby cactuspete » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 am

pdm wrote:The King of Staten Island (2020) - Tattooing a Child Scene
Kids aren't babies and they aren't adults either and some kids are smarter than others. Then again, some adults are babies and many are dumber than kids and so there are no easy answers! As for the opinions of supposed experts, they are less than worthless!

Mental health experts tend to be some of the most clueless people on the planet. It seems that anyone with an IQ above 90 is rejected from these programs. When brain dead idiots are touted as experts, we're all in trouble and that's been the state of affairs for the last several decades and things are only getting worse!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 am

tronagirl wrote:Parents in Trona can say some pretty rude things to their kids. Here's a short list of just a few of the things I've heard parents say to their own kids:
1) Stop fucking around!
2) Knock that shit off!
3) Stop your bitching!
4) Stop fucking with me!
5) Listen here you little cunt....
6) Listen here you little asshole....
7) Get in there and clean that mess before I kick your ass!
8) Listen here, shit for brains, I'm not putting up with your shit anymore!
9) Get your ass in the house! Now!
10) I've had enough of your shit for one day!
Like I said, I've heard parents in Trona say all these things with my own ears. Trona parents can use some pretty strong language when getting after their kids, but I'm sure that they love their kids just like parents anywhere else. It might even be the case that Trona parents don't cuss at their kids anymore than parents in other locations. That's hard to say. What's the worst thing you've ever heard a parent say to their kid?

I've heard all those and more! I've even heard school board members cuss at their kids like that and I mean some of the worst on the list too!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 am

It's one thing to cuss in front of kids and another to cuss at kids. There's nothing absolutely wrong with cussing, but it's wrong to verbally abuse a kid. Of course, verbal abuse is a category which can be overly broad in the minds of some people and so it's best not to conflate verbal abuse with criticism, legitimate complaints, and overuse of swear words. For instance, consider these two examples:
VERBAL ABUSE: Clean your fucking room you miserable little cunt or else I'll cut off your balls!
[Contains a direct insult and a threat, plus it's kind of confusing due to the use of cunt and balls.]
NOT ABUSE: Clean your fucking room. This is the third time this week you've pulled this shit!
[Rather blunt and rude, but not insulting or demeaning.]
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:13 am

Over the years I've heard all sorts of stories about coaches who used inappropriate language at sports practices and I'm not just talking about high school sports coaches. The community programs for younger kids have been even worse back in the day when there was more of that kind of thing. There's also stories about bus drivers employed by the school using some pretty questionable language. A certain retired bus driver who happens to be a school board member now reportedly had a habit of saying some pretty crazy things. The example which comes to mind first is that she told a boy who had to urgently use the restroom to "tie it in a knot."
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Inappropriate School Bus Driver

Postby sandman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:23 am

panamint_patty: I've heard all sorts of stories about that lady! There were jokes about her having major PMS and mood swing issues back in the day. She's not all bad though. She's one of those people who attempts to make up for past mistakes by helping out in the community. Probably the best thing she could do if she really wants to help the community would be to resign from the school board!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:18 am

What's acceptable changes over time. Some people push the limits and other people are careful about what they say. In these days of sensitivity training expectations have changed. When the goal posts are constantly being moved, it's difficult to know what is socially acceptable.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:31 am

A Sample Round of Exploding Kittens
First of all, I wonder how many times this card game has been played at an elementary school anywhere in the USA, and secondly, I wonder how many parents have expressed outrage over the game being allowed at school. I think the game is funny, but I'm sure some sensitive little snowflakes would be offended by the game.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby rainbow » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:22 am

Please Touch Museum hosts Drag Queen Story Time
Holding an event like this at the PLEASE TOUCH Museum seems a little creepy!
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CoolChick » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 am

rainbow: The combination of "please touch" and "drag queen story time" seems pretty sick and twisted if you ask me. Why do "drag queens" want so desperately to read books to kids in the first place?
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:57 pm

A friend and I had a funny conversation relating to the word pussy. As most people on this message board know I retired from teaching several years ago and this particular incident happened quite a few years ago. As is often the case it takes a while to calm elementary students down after lunch break. Sometimes it's worse than others. On one occasion there were several upset students and when I asked what the problem was a boy spoke up and said that another student had called him the p-word. In my mind I was trying to figure out if the word was penis or pervert or poop or piss or prick. Since so many students were upset, I decided to have a class discussion on how to deal with disputes on the playground. As a first step I had the boy whisper his p-word in my ear and when he whispered "pussy" I laughed and shared the word with the class. Half the class gasped because they thought pussy was a bad word and half the class giggled since the realized that pussy had more than one meaning. One little girl spoke up and stated that her parents considered pussy to be a bad word. A boy replied that pussy could mean cat or wimp to which the girl replied that the other meaning was nasty. So, I explained the importance of context. Eventually the class agreed after hearing all the situational details that the relevant meaning of pussy in this case was wimp and that although it was not nice to call someone a wimp, that it was not a violation of the rule against not using swear words at school. I finished up the discussion by reminding students that they should not insult other students, but that they should also keep in mind that there is a difference between mean words and words which can be considered to be indecent or obscene.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News